REALLY dumb question

Help Support CattleToday:

kid

Reaction score
Im not sure how to word this but I want to know how much of each kind of meat can you get when you butcher. Like 400lb hamburger, 150lb steak, 100 roast...

Just in general. I dont even know what all you get when you butcher so Im just asking in general, nothing specific.

kid":3gkqqk68 said:
Im not sure how to word this but I want to know how much of each kind of meat can you get when you butcher. Like 400lb hamburger, 150lb steak, 100 roast...

Just in general. I dont even know what all you get when you butcher so Im just asking in general, nothing specific.

Cant really answer your question. You could get all hamburger back if you wanted, but then you would be wasting some good steaks. Figure you will get about 50% of your hanging weight back in meat, give or take, depending on way too many things to list.

ok I dont want all hamburger back, I dont know what all you can get made. If so much is just steak, so much is just roast...or if you can get all of it made into whatever you want.

3MR, I dont know how to say thank you enough. I searched the web for about 4 hours and couldn't find anything. You are awesome, I hope you have the most awesome day/week imaginable.

I have a related question. I stopped by the sales barn last weekend just to look around and saw some of the poorest animals ever. One was what appeared to be a very old, prolapsed cow that seemed barely able to stand. This started me wondering. Surely that cow (and many of the others) was headed to slaughter. Do any such cows end up in the grocery store or are all of them (old, sick, poor condition) scheduled to be dog food or other products not for human consumption? Makes you wonder just what is in those hotdogs I love so much.

just don't think about it when munching on the dogs.
I think maybe you've eatin one or two of those at your favorite burger complex. ever seen the movie soylent green? 2022 approaches ;-)

Hasbeen":34ipi094 said:
I have a related question. I stopped by the sales barn last weekend just to look around and saw some of the poorest animals ever. One was what appeared to be a very old, prolapsed cow that seemed barely able to stand. This started me wondering. Surely that cow (and many of the others) was headed to slaughter. Do any such cows end up in the grocery store or are all of them (old, sick, poor condition) scheduled to be dog food or other products not for human consumption? Makes you wonder just what is in those hotdogs I love so much.

Most consumers don't know and probably are better off not knowing. I worked a couple of summers on a kill floor (custom and commercial processor). It was amazing to me what some people hauled in to have butchered for their own families.

We figure 60% of the live weight will yield the hanging weight.
70% of the hanging weight will yield the packaged meat.
Rough averages, the percentages vary with the individual animal.
Ball park...a bit more than 40% of live weight will be the cut meat.
Depends on how it is cut but roughly 30% will be steaks, 30% wil be roasts and assorted cuts and 40% will be burger.
And that's my two bits worth! DMc

Bullbuyer":2z7itoye said:
It was amazing to me what some people hauled in to have butchered for their own families.
like.... ?

I don't think a cow in that condition will end up in the human food chain. I see a critter sell once in a while that is in bad health. If you pay attention they will sell like for 2 to 4$ per hundred and will go for pet food.

At this time packers do not want to take a chance on animals that don't appear to be healthy.

mnmt

kid":1i8d4s2b said:

As far as I know, butchering is generally a custom type thing, and the customer specifies how much of what they want (of course, these amounts are subject to how much can be produced by any one animal) and how much is ground into hamburger. For example if you only want rib-eyes, specify that and the rest will be ground into hamburger. We usually specify rib, t-bone, cube, and sirloin for steaks, not many roasts, sirloin tips, sometimes prime rib, and the rest is ground into hamburger.

Hasbeen":1phgewcm said:
Makes you wonder just what is in those hotdogs I love so much.

I strongly suspect you really don't want to know! Bologna is another one that I don't want to know what is in it. :eek: :(

Tough question. Depends on how it is cut up. But if you are going for the most valuable retail cuts possible - here is a little scenario based on a moderately fattened steer. This was a 1250 lb steer, it dressed out at 781.25 lbs and yielded 573 lbs of retail cuts. (I prefer mine to be all cut up into ribeye - maybe a little hamburger - you know just a few pounds) :lol: You can do the math to generalize it any more than this. :cboy:

Cut % of Dressed Wt.
Chuck 29.15%

Blade, Roasts & Steaks 4.72%
Ground Beef And Stew Meat 11.59%
Arm Pot Roasts and Steaks 4.94%
Cross Rib Roast 3.53%
Fat and Bones 4.37%

Round 21.68%
Top Round 4.81%
Bottom Round 4.34%
Tip 2.34%
Rump 1.09%