Really Cool History

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
My dear friend that was one of the first Navy Frogmen(SEALS) in WWII came by and gave a bunch of pictures from the battle on Okinawa him and his buddies took. He also gave me some of Tokoyo harbor with sunk Jap warship's in it.
Now I am trying to find a place to blow them up into 8x10's just cause I guess. He gave me about 50 photo's in all.

I agree with backhoeboogie.

I don't know where you live, but if there is a Ritz or Wolf Camera store there, they may be help you.

chippie":3kvcbtya said:
I agree with backhoeboogie.

I don't know where you live, but if there is a Ritz or Wolf Camera store there, they may be help you.

Thank's

He is one of my Hero's he remind's me of my Dad and Uncles. I can't spend enough time with him.
I love him to piece's those were special men and I can never repay them the debt I owe.

Chippe my choice of stores is Feed, Wal Mart, Ace Hardware and Brookshire Bros.
My youngest son is a computer wiz he said he should be able to do it with his equipment.

CB,photos like that are priceless, after reading this I pulled out photos from my Grandfather who was olso in Okinawa, he was a navigator on a B-17 crew and later was on the B-29s, I have a greeting card from Okinawa that he sent my Grandmother at Christmas time, it has a soldier looking up in the air next to a sign that reads Okie, in the card he wrote to my Grandma that this was him thinking of her and my mother at Christmas.

gimpyrancher":2oesu6kv said:
I married a Jap. So this story particularly warms my heart. :hide:
Someone's feeling particularly whiny today.
What's up gimpyrancher?

Growing up the nieghbor kids had a grandpa and several uncles on their Mom's side who were in the army and stationed in the Phillipines when the war broke out. None of them survived the Batan death march. Their Dad was an infantry captain when we went back to the Phillipines. He recieved three purple hearts there. Japs were not spoken of well in our neighborhood.

Now there were several Japanesse/American famliies who lived a few miles away who had vegetable and berry farms. They were well liked and respected. But Japs...... not so much.

Dave":1z82t973 said:
Growing up the nieghbor kids had a grandpa and several uncles on their Mom's side who were in the army and stationed in the Phillipines when the war broke out. None of them survived the Batan death march. Their Dad was an infantry captain when we went back to the Phillipines. He recieved three purple hearts there. Japs were not spoken of well in our neighborhood.

Now there were several Japanesse/American famliies who lived a few miles away who had vegetable and berry farms. They were well liked and respected. But Japs...... not so much.

The Imperial Japanese Army killed 30 million people from 1937 to 1945.
Twenty million of those were Chinese civilian's.
The Taliban have nothing on the Jap Army.
http://www.ww2pacific.com/atrocity.html

Be sure to get as mush information as you can about the photos from your friend....
At the rate our history is being rewritten you may have one of the last surviving resevoirs of accurate information.

Caustic Burno":2a8le4x4 said:
Bad news my dear friend I got the pictures from fell and broke his hip.
They are not allowing visitor's until tomorrow.
I will be there.

Dang CB. Thats awful. But think about what has just happened, and then think about why. I think its possible this ole fellow might have known his days were numbered, and he chose you.
I hate to hear this. Oftentimes, when an old person breaks a hip, they go down hill from there. I've seen it up close and personal. Cherish the time you have with him.
God bless you for giving this man an ear. He certainly deserves a man like yourself to share his life memories with, and no doubt you are worthy of it. Praise be

I talked to him this morning and he is doing real well he was headed for therapy.
Told him I would be down this afternoon after the sale to check on him.
Said after next week they will be moving him to the rehab facility in town.
I will be able to have lunch with him there.
He was all worried about my wife cause she had another TIA week ago Thrusday.
She is fine now they are readjusting the blood thinner's.
Typical of him to worry about us.
Found out how he broke his hip, he had sold his Harley and while pushing it out of the garage slipped and fell.

More power to that gentleman of the "great generation".
Hope he recovers and soon.
Caustic I wish I could be with you to visit and give respect.

Older 2nd cousin of mine was a frogman. He loved to fish and chew tobacco.
I didn't know his daddy, but he and my grandfather were a lot alike. They just wouldn't talk. I think they prefered the company of their own thoughts over the babble of a lot of people. But when they did talk, it was worth listening too.

He was doing really well for what he has been through.
Was joking about he got to have pretty girl's take him to PT.
I know from Mom about 80% of elderly breaking a hip don't have a good outcome.
Attitude is key as mom recovered went back to driving and working in her flower bed.
He seems to have the same attitude we will have to keep a careful eye that he keep's it.

I'm sorry about your friend's injury. He sounds like he has a positive outlook.
Get well wishes and a prayer sent for his recovery and for your wife too. I hope that she is doing better.

Latest posts