Real Winter Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Not to poke fun at any of you Southerners or anything, but here is what winter is for us. I dont know what we did to deserve it but we are standing at 119" in the last 7 days. Not ideal for cattle care for sure. Not all pics are cattle related but thought some may enjoy nonetheless. I love seeing other regions through pictures on these boards

This Yearling is on one path I blew to water and I'm on the other. WIthout these paths the yearlings would be totally mired.

IMG_5941_zpsvob98d5j.jpg

Something's just not right about having to have hay on the front and a blower on the back:

IMG_5930_zps14qi9dev.jpg

This guy was feeling frisky and went off the beaten path. I think he wasnt sure if he was gonna make it back to momma:

IMG_5937_zpsy4b2w6p3.jpg

The Cow version of Russian nesting dolls:

IMG_5933_zpstvmuuhpt.jpg

When you walk back from taking care of cattle only to realize its time to do the driveway again:

IMG_5951_zpst322hieu.jpg

The sugar shack looks a little scared by this load:

IMG_5947_zps7kgc2upu.jpg

'Nuff Said:

IMG_5950_zpsfgcvftlb.jpg

For some, its all joy:

IMG_5956_zps2y57wppy.jpg

IMG_5952_zpsvtwotoit.jpg

Love these pictures! Thanks for posting. We're in the middle of a heatwave here in Australia so quite a contrast. It looks magical to me but I'm sure the novelty wears pretty thin for you.

Andrew

That's crazy, very little snow in Clayton like almost none. And the river is open and there still using a boat to get back and forth to Grindstone island.

True Grit Farms":24rkj0cr said:
That's crazy, very little snow in Clayton like almost none. And the river is open and there still using a boat to get back and forth to Grindstone island.

Yep, it's very hard for people to believe the difference between Syracuse or Watertown's snowfall and where we are. People see that Syracuse is the top city for snowfall most years with something around 120-150". Little do people know that just 40 miles north and 10 miles east, there is an area that can get double that easily. Here is a fun little write-up from today:

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.s ... esday.html

Thanks for the pics. We've had 2-3 spells with snow and one bad ice storm but nothing like you are having.

It sure looks nice in pictures but I would sure hate to deal with it in real life. I called it cold today and I think you would laugh at what I call cold. We had snow a few times but it only happens about every 10 years. I just can't imagine trying to feed cattle in all that cold.

gizmom

Thanks for sharing those pictures, I enjoy seeing other places, but I sure feel for you having to tend to livestock out in that much snow. We haven't had much snow at all, maybe a couple inches total so far, had a lot of rain and mud though.

They are great photos, I don't sympathise with you as that is your lifestyle choice, just as I would not expect you to sympathise with me going through a heatwave at the moment, most days are up around 35C, normally our summer and winter temps most people would die for and I love living here but it is so interesting to get a glimpse of how you live and work in those conditions, thank you.

In Australia the only place that gets regular snow like that is up in the Australian Alps around Australia's highest peak Mt Kosiuszkco which for our highest peak is relatively low in world terms at 2228m. It is interesting though there used to be families who ran cattle around the base of the Alps and after the snow melt in spring/summer took their cattle up into the high country to graze on the grasses and herbage that sprung up and they did well but of course the "greenies" got into politicians ears and put a stop to that and now there are big problems with growth of undesirable plants that the cattle used to keep under control.

Ken

That doesn't look like 10 feet of snow to me.. perhaps where there are drifts.. looks like about 4-5 feet.. nevertheless..I'm glad I don't have that much snow.. we had 3" yesterday.
Local ski hills were supposed to get up to 60" over the weekend though.. I've been snowshoeing in the mountains when there was 14'.. had to dig down to a cabin that was on stilts

I'm glad we don't get that kind of snow here. Worst snowstorm, and only whiteout, I was ever in was in your part of the country I suppose. Cutting west from Plattsburg, in the area of a little truckstop/lodge on 11. That's beautiful country up there, when you can see.

Nesikep":nxqh0ffp said:
That doesn't look like 10 feet of snow to me.. perhaps where there are drifts.. looks like about 4-5 feet.. nevertheless..I'm glad I don't have that much snow.. we had 3" yesterday.
Local ski hills were supposed to get up to 60" over the weekend though.. I've been snowshoeing in the mountains when there was 14'.. had to dig down to a cabin that was on stilts

Nesi, snowfall and accumulation are a little bit hard to think through because of the reality that snow settles. And when its wet and heavy, like lake effect snow is, it settles quickly. I dont know what the real ratios are, but on a heavy snowfall it seems to me that it settles by about 1/3 within 24 hours. Also, any walking or traffic on it obviously settles it a good bit more. Its pretty common here for your driveway to end up being 1' higher by March. The gate behind the tractor is up off the ground about 18" but its now dragging on a firm packed base so the reality is even when you are down to the packed snow, its not the ground, its 1-2' up still.

It doesn't sound like much fun to have to deal with, especially with the regularity of it. My cows are unhappy with 6" of snow

Is that a 7740? How does it handle that big blower? I put a blower about that size on my 7710 and it didn't think much of it, so I bought an 8260 this year along with a 10' front blade and we've only had about 2" of snow. Go figure.

Is that tractor missing a door or am I seeing something wrong?

Neat pictures by the way.

Latest posts