Real milk - milk replacer and back

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I may have a chance at getting some beef cross calves soon. They are from a dairy farm and my Jersey nurse cow hasn't calved yet. Any day really she can go. But I'm wondering if I get these calves before I have more real milk will milk replacer for a few days put the calves behind. Or going from a couple different milks screw them up ???

I agree to see if you can get some bucket cow milk from the dairy until your cow calves. If not, use the BEST milk replacer with all milk protein... NO SOY..... and when the cow comes fresh, mix the bottles for 3-4 DAYS half and half so as to not change them over suddenly.
Changing milk to replacer back to milk will cause some problems.... FEED LESS... for a few days so they are hungry and don't get overloaded with whichever formula you are feeding. Like 3/4 bottle a feeding.... watch their manure close.
I am assuming since you said nurse cow, that you will be putting the calves on the cow???? Then you really want to give them some half and half mix for a couple days while the jersey is producing colostrum, plus it will be richer than the replacer so will take a little bit of adjustment... that is why I said to mix it. I will mix milk replacer in when I get short of milk from the cow....

Latest posts