Real Handy on the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

I know this is several things but my Kubota, with hydro trans, backhoe, pallet forks and manure bucket. They have quadrupled my productivity on the farm. Before that it was a 1950's Massey and early 90's skid steer with over 14,000 hours lol. It was hours of prep to start both in the winter

We splurged on a Priefert chute back in 2018 and I have no idea how we made it before. We're able to easily and safely work the herd in a fraction of the time.

Guidance system for the tractor. Not only does it make spraying much better to get full coverage and minimal overlaps, it also helps tremendously when putting out seed as its acre counter makes calibrating a breeze.

How do you take the wrap off (string, net, or plastic)? using pallet forks?

Most of my hay is loaded on an old style round bale trailer, so I go to the passenger side and cut all the way across it, then go to the driver's side, gather it up in my hand, and dump the roll while holding onto the net. (Do not wrap it around your hand when you do that. You don't want to get pulled over the trailer if it gets hung up.) When feeding with the trailer I roll it off the forks so it's not sitting on the flat spot, get out of the tractor, and cut the netting fairly low on one side and pull it across to the other side. Then I roll the hay until it clears the cut end.

Usually, if I have a tree down I need a tractor with a loader. Plus, it's one less thing to change oil in.
my reason for three point is no limit to the hydraulic power except the tractor pump....never had a piece of wood I could not split....older now and thinking of selling mine...have not made the decision yet......another benefit is mine will raise or lower to comfortable working height and will also stand on end to roll large pieces onto the butt plate. can go anywhere the tractor can go...I do not have a four wheel drive...

My answer would be an 8 bale in-line self dumping round bale trailer. I bought it in 2011. Before that, I had a 20 foot implement trailer that I could haul 5 bales with. It required that I have a tractor on both ends in order to load and unload.

Now, I need a tractor to load with but I don't need anything to unload. With a 40 minute round trip to my hayfield, hauling 8 bales instead of 5 is HUGE. Must quicker to load and unload. BIG improvement... Can't believe I did without it for so many years.

Buying my first John Deere Cab tractor would be my next vote. And while that increased my comfort, the bale trailer increased my productivity. So the bale trailer gets my first vote.

Latest posts