Reading Heat Detect Patches ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
When using heat detect patches on heifers we seem to get into some confusing situtations. There are a couple different types:

"Party Girl" - she shows heat whenever some one else does, we try to clue off palpitation
"Early Bird" - she shows heat, and then shows it again a day or two later, we usually re bred
"Shy One" - she shows only light patch scratching but then stands for the bull 3 weeks later

Any insight on what is going on here, and how would you handle "Early Bird" ? Would you turn her out with the bull after 24 hours?

Do you synchronise first to inseminate and then use the patches to try and pick up on those to rebreed 21 days later. That is what I do and have good success with my heifers. You know when to expect them and it sorts out all the different scenerios you described.

Ken

Steve, I had some confusing heats over the last two months when I was breeding for fall 2017 calves. I use chalk but to be candid, I go mostly on observation and mentally dissecting what is going on. I had 5 cows that I never observed in a standing heat but exhibited all the other signs. They had mucus, full swollen vulva that was red and moist upon opening. They were jumping other cows, etc. You have to dissect what is going on and put a straw in them. If you are unsure, put a second straw in them if you are not using expensive semen.

I don't think chalk or heat patches can make the decision for you. Hopefully, you are able to make at least two observations per day. In my case, I was out with the cows several times a day when I was breeding. Frequent observations is why I have a success rate higher than the expected average. I run about 80 percent success or better.

wbvs58":10ufruwj said:
Do you synchronise first to inseminate and then use the patches to try and pick up on those to rebreed 21 days later. That is what I do and have good success with my heifers. You know when to expect them and it sorts out all the different scenerios you described.

Ken

X2. I usually like to use some form of synchronization so it narrows the window a bit.

I had the heifers sorted off and corralled. I walked down there a couple times per day. If there were two or more in heat it was somewhat obvious. The Shy Ones not so much.
There is local lore here that syncing heifers messes some of them up and can create slow or non breeders. Not sure on the details. I did buy a couple open heifers the previous fall from a no sync guy, and they were ALL Shy Ones. Makes me wonder about genetics...

Latest posts