Reading hay test results?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What numbers do I need to pay the most attention too?
It has 2 sets of numbers, as received and dry matter basis. Which one is more important?
Any links to a site to learn more about these tests?

http://agbisdstate.edu/articles/ExEx4002.pdfopubs.
This is about the best site I could find. Typically everything is examined on a dry matter basis as this brings everything onto a level playing field. The numbers I pay most attention to are protein (because it is expensive to supplement protein if the forage has inadequate levels) and fiber (both ADF and NDF). The higher the fiber levels the less that can be digested and the more waste you have. If the fiber levels get too high the cows won't be able to consume enough feed to meet their requirements. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Could not get the link to work.

On a dry matter basis proteins was 13.5, adf 40.5, ndf 64.10, rfv 83.26. This is a fescue clover mix hay.

From what little I searched and found out my adf and ndf are so so good. What can I do to improve these ?

Try this link... http://beef.unl.edu/learning/feedAnalysis.shtml

Use dry matter numbers to formulate rations...

To improve adf and ndf, cut the hay earlier. As you know, cutting earlier means less hay per cutting so their is a certain "balance" to when you want to cut. Sometimes volume is more important than quality. Other times better quality is more important than volume. Such as when cattle are on oats/wheat/rygrass pastures, the quality of hay isn't all that important.

1982vett":v111ch16 said:
Try this link... http://beef.unl.edu/learning/feedAnalysis.shtml

Use dry matter numbers to formulate rations...

To improve adf and ndf, cut the hay earlier. As you know, cutting earlier means less hay per cutting so their is a certain "balance" to when you want to cut. Sometimes volume is more important than quality. Other times better quality is more important than volume. Such as when cattle are on oats/wheat/rygrass pastures, the quality of hay isn't all that important.

I guess last year was bad for hay quality with so much rain that a lot of it got cut late.

tom4018":1717u4zl said:
I guess last year was bad for hay quality with so much rain that a lot of it got cut late.

Better to have low quality hay than no hay. :) A good crude protien for the variety of hay is what I shoot for. All the other numbers sort of fall in place with it. As far as I am concerned, all the other numbers come into play when you are "splitting hairs" in a feedlot situation and I suppose dairies. Just the way I look at it.

The protein looks good but I'm guessing the clover boosted that number. The fiber levels are quite high and I'm guessing that was the later cutting. If you want better quality you could always try cutting earlier but then you do give up some yield. I used to always think quantity over quality for beef cattle. Last couple years I have changed my mind after having some poor results when feeding hay that tested out on the lower end.

novaman":3qpqnm3p said:
The protein looks good but I'm guessing the clover boosted that number. The fiber levels are quite high and I'm guessing that was the later cutting. If you want better quality you could always try cutting earlier but then you do give up some yield. I used to always think quantity over quality for beef cattle. Last couple years I have changed my mind after having some poor results when feeding hay that tested out on the lower end.

Cutting grass at it's prime is crucial. I can't see waiting in order to get more but low quality hay. Even if rain is in the forecast it's better to have grass cut and on the ground getting wet than standing and growing past maturity.

TexasBred":37v6g882 said:
Cutting grass at it's prime is crucial. I can't see waiting in order to get more but low quality hay. Even if rain is in the forecast it's better to have grass cut and on the ground getting wet than standing and growing past maturity.
I've wrestled with that one many times. Could never decide if it weathered better standing or laying.

novaman":3u3jkz7t said:
TexasBred":3u3jkz7t said:
I've wrestled with that one many times. Could never decide if it weathered better standing or laying.

Probalby weathers better standing BUT also continues to grow past prime nutritional value and become lower in value....(but you'll have a lot of it). ;-)

Latest posts