re wild turkys

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I think you folks down south have lots of wild turkeys . We just got 4 or 5 to run around the yard -- but I notice the tame turkeys are dying (their about 1/2 grown) Can the wild ones give the tame any diseases ?

The domestics can wipe out the wild ones. The fish and game boys get pretty serious about folks letting domestic ones go, intermingle, etc. They'll come down on you hard. It doesn't seem that way with quail, but for some reason turkeys are sensitive to everything.

one of the girls I run around with had turkeys and they died from being fat and not being able to walk around but they always were givin them anitbiotics for colds and odd stuff like that.

Jake":1g17qicl said:
one of the girls I run around with had turkeys and they died from being fat and not being able to walk around but they always were givin them anitbiotics for colds and odd stuff like that.
Jake--what does a girl look like --that keeps over fat turkeys --You have to be careful some old girls dont have the right concept of what is too fat

carl

We always have wild turkeys in our yard in Pennsylvania,

This year I have noticed the same 4 adult females and 1 male but no babies. Usually they have babies, and bring them into the yard...Not this year

chrisy":1wtlkpe7 said:
when I was in Louisiana recently I was amazed to see wild Turkeys roaming around.They are all farmed here.

That's why they're called wild turkeys

dun

dun":j70oxf9o said:
chrisy":j70oxf9o said:
when I was in Louisiana recently I was amazed to see wild Turkeys roaming around.They are all farmed here.

That's why they're called wild turkeys

dun

der, I know that, it was just strange to see this sort of animal wondering free. we have Pheasant and Grousse but that's about it for game birds. anything else that is eaten is farmed, you can't go to the pond or lake and kill a Duck unless you want a fine. the laws are strange here on matters like that.

Carlos D.":172epyma said:
Jake":172epyma said:
Jake--what does a girl look like --that keeps over fat turkeys --You have to be careful some old girls dont have the right concept of what is too fat

carl

she's a 12 out of 10. The turkeys were meant to be butchered years ago but they survived the ax, most of the domestic turkeys your doing a favor killing when it comes time because they get so huge. She's engaged to a buddy of mine that's a Marine so I'm too late on that one.

Somewhere in the last 10 to 15 years the State seeded the area with some wild turkeys. Really didn't pay too much attention and occasionally would see a few. Now it seems like I when I'm looking for a new calf that over half the time it's one of those lousy birds making the grass/ bush/weed move, but I don't know until I walk over and get close enough to spook the lousy thing. I encourage all my hunter friends to come thin them out, because it seems the cows don't particularly like them either.

Cuz

CUZ":1ajkwyhw said:
Somewhere in the last 10 to 15 years the State seeded the area with some wild turkeys. Really didn't pay too much attention and occasionally would see a few. Now it seems like I when I'm looking for a new calf that over half the time it's one of those lousy birds making the grass/ bush/weed move, but I don't know until I walk over and get close enough to spook the lousy thing. I encourage all my hunter friends to come thin them out, because it seems the cows don't particularly like them either.

Cuz
The re-introduction of the Wild Turkey has been one of the most sucessful projects of it's kind here in Tennessee.I dont know anyone that's bothered by them.

Poults (baby Turkeys) have a high mortality rate due to inclement weather, diseae, predators, etc. However I saw a hen yesterday cross the road and she probably had a dozen young'uns. She must've been a good momma and hatched them at the right time. They were half grown. Saw another hen this weekend that had 6-7 poults and they were much smaller. She may have had to start her batch over due to loss of the nest. I enjoy watching them.

At the far end of the lane we have what we call the turkey crossing. This is the 4th year that we've seen 2 hens crossing down there at jjust almost exactly 6am. They've alwasy had between the 2 of them 14-17 poults.

dun

CUZ":h20grpjr said:

Cuz

Cuz, I want to be one of your hunting friends :D Turkey hunting is my 2nd favorite past time.....right behind bowhunting deer!

We farm about 30 acres of sandy bottomland. We usually
no-till it with wheat for grazing or straw. The turkeys on
this place have turned it into a big dusthole with their constant
scratching and dust-bathing. It's made the ground so rough
in some places that you have to watch where you're driving.

We used to grow soybeans on this same piece of ground.
There is no way that could be these days. The resident
deer herd would make short work of a soybean field. 30
years ago, it was a real treat to see a deer on this place.
Now, they are everywhere!

You can get too much of a good thing.

10 days ago I was cutting hay -chased a wild turkey off her nest -nearly cut her head off--anyway we took the eggs put them under a clucking hen my nieghbour had they hatched 4 or 5 days later and everthing is going good their all still alive and look pretty healthy.

Sevierite":2p09gt6l said:
We farm about 30 acres of sandy bottomland. We usually
no-till it with wheat for grazing or straw. The turkeys on
this place have turned it into a big dusthole with their constant
scratching and dust-bathing. It's made the ground so rough
in some places that you have to watch where you're driving.

We used to grow soybeans on this same piece of ground.
There is no way that could be these days. The resident
deer herd would make short work of a soybean field. 30
years ago, it was a real treat to see a deer on this place.
Now, they are everywhere!

You can get too much of a good thing.
Maybe time to harvest some deer.

Latest posts