Re: What would be the best bull for Hereford cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just to throw one more breed into the mix I would suggest that you check out the saler breed. As a rule they excel at calving ease and will produce a significantly larger feeder animal at weaning than the average Angus bull and the heifers make excellent replacements. Again as a rule, they will not be as good in the marbling (fat in the meat that makes it more tender) department, however, but this is not real important unless you will be feeding out your calves to slaughter weight and selling them on a carcass premium grid.<br>I say this because I am guessing that you will be marketing the calves produced at the local sale barn where the price you receive is set mostly by the total weight of the calves with small primiums for breeds like angus. It has been proven by a number of studies however, that at this level the largest calves bring the most return regardless of breed. Some will tell you that you can get the same size calves from a high growth angus bull as with salers or other high growth breeds, but to do this you will spend a lot of money on the bull or will have to give up calving ease leading to much larger birthweight calves which could lead to problems at calving possibly resulting in having to pull calves and babysit your cows at calving time. <p>Just a couple of things to think about when making your selection. One site to check out would be GGT Salers at http://www.ggtcattle.com. They are in Kansas and are home to the most popular Saler bull "Chuckwagon" in the breed today. Most likely the price of their bulls will be significantly higher than the $1000 you have mentioned by then can put you in contact with a breeder who uses their genetics and has good bulls in your price range. If you have any more ? feel free to drop me a line.<p>p.s. I am not affiliated with GGT salers but am starting a saler herd in Colorado and in researching breeding stock for myself, I have been very impressed with what they have produced
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Just looking thru posts in 2001 -- Salers -- biggest fools on campus --- Think Saler-- Think Dark Cutter

Hey we had Gerts back in 1950 and until 1993 I believe it was. Used to love roping those calves when I was learning to calf rope back in the 70's ---- made those angus and herefords at the ropin easy to rope and handle but I had to buy a slower horse.

There are good and bad about all breeds but some are better than others depends what your objective is.

If you are on some hot dry climate and sparse grass and native grass and you dont like Boer Goats then yeah Gerts will work. I like the San Jose KR came up with--- lil more meat to be had there with the same stamina ---almost.
What works best for your environment will be what others raise we all know this but some just finish better than others.
I have finished out my share of Gerts probably more than you... maybe not who knows but that doesnt matter-- I like Gerts but they do get a lil nervous when confined- which leads to problems on the rail --- specifically Dark Cutters for one.

I really like Simangus too --- I think overall they are the best to finish.

Beefmaster if keeping replacements, Gerty cows with hereford bulls look nice don't know about reverse, Would a Brangus bull on hereford cow make black baldies, or just a mess?

It depends on what you are going to do with the calves and where you live. If you are going to keep the calves for mama cows, I would go with a modern type, milky, black angus bull, then breed the black baldy offspring to a charolais starting with their second calf. If you are going to sell the calves as feeders, I would put a charolais bull with them for the yellow, high dollar feeder calves. If you are in the heat and humidity of the south you will probably need something with some brahma in it's ancestry to live in the heat, even though you will be giving up dollars on your feeders with the longer ears

If I was far south, I would think about a Black Brangus
If i was mid south, I would use a Black Angus..

Try cross your Herefords with Blonde D'Aquitaine bulls I think you'll be really surprised on the quality of calf you get and the great replacements you can keep. I did that cross for 4.5 years will very good results.

TEhayandcattle":i139msk2 said:
Beefmaster if keeping replacements, Gerty cows with hereford bulls look nice don't know about reverse, Would a Brangus bull on hereford cow make black baldies, or just a mess?

Brangus on Hereford make "Super Baldies," and they are not a mess, but good cattle. My uncle ran a Brangus bull on a Hereford based cowherd that had heavy limi influence. He still had several straight Hereford cows, and at the time I had one lone Hereford heifer which bred to the Brangus bull. Great calves. However, he switched back to a hereford bull the next go round, followed by two or three Angus. That particular Hereford bull, a moderate framed bull from Boynton, OK, sired his heaviest weaning calf crops before or since, unless the Flying G Hereford bull he has now can match him.

If you are in the south. The top selling F-1 cross is the Queen Of Cow Country. Brahman bull on herford cows (or reverse) will bring more bucks than any other cross hands down. Come back with a Char. bull and you will see a lot of hands in the air at the sale barn.

I started breeding Shorthorns in the early 70's.My decision to start with that breed was heavily influenced by viewing a herd of Short X Herfs and another herd that was a Short X black -baldie cross.
I can still picture those outstanding cattle like it was yesterday.That vision was reinforced last year with a visit to the Horton feedlot in Colo.There was a pen of Sht X Herf steers there that reminded me of why I chose to raise Shorthorns.

Brahman influenced cattle do not have to be as far south as many of you seem to think. Anywhere over 85 F for an extended period of time in the summer can experience the benefits of Brahman influenced cattle.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2spmta34 said:
Brahman influenced cattle do not have to be as far south as many of you seem to think. Anywhere over 85 F for an extended period of time in the summer can experience the benefits of Brahman influenced cattle.

The main reason is the price at selling time. When the calves go to tx or ok they don;t mind the ear. When they're going to NE, IA, etc., the don;t want any ear.

Of course my heart says the best bull is a Hereford, but I realize this is a discussion about a commercial herd with the idea of crossbreeding.

As regarding hindquarter, anyone who thinks Herefords are all lacking in that department has never seen a Lents Anxiety 4th, a Day Hazlett, among others. Having said that, there are some that need to have an infusion of the above bloodlines to put some rear quarter on them.

Was not trying to give Herfords a hard time, just pitching some notions out. I am not that well verused on herford pedigrees. So i would not no one from the other but i think i would no a good one when i see it. But i do no a little about fullblood limis. I also no that 83% of Limi cattle carry a gene called myostatin F94LIt is a muscling gene 68 precent of Limousin cattle are homozygous for this gene. Homozygous cattle have a 13 precent larger ribeye area, and 4precent more total retail yield. Just alot more chance for big butts with fullblood Limi. Nothing wrong with a good herford in a commercial cow herd .

Latest posts