Re: Scours and no dehydration?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

> Why the hell don't you use Scour
> Guard?

Scour Guard and Scour Bos are some of the best at preventing scours, but calves out of heifers don't get the best quality colostrum and scours happen. Our vet recommends giving a colostrum supplement to calves out of heifers and that has helped us.

[email protected]

I wonder if the scours are the problem or just a secondary symptom of something else

dun

> Scour Guard and Scour Bos are some
> of the best at preventing scours,
> but calves out of heifers don't
> get the best quality colostrum and
> scours happen. Our vet recommends
> giving a colostrum supplement to
> calves out of heifers and that has
> helped us.

I wondered too, but we have had several cultured and all they are getting is an e coli scour which hits at 7 to 10 days. We vaccinate the cows for everything pre calving so she will have a high immune level to pass on to the calves. When we noticed it was only the calves out of heifers that had the problem, the vet explained how a cow that has been vaccinated annually will have more protection in the colosturm and well as being better able to produce a good supply of colostrum; as opposed to a heifer who is finishing her growing, growing a calf, and lactating for the first time. Sounded reasonable to me.

> I wonder if the scours are the
> problem or just a secondary
> symptom of something else

> dun

[email protected]

> Someone asked why we dont use scour gard? Weve NEVER lost any to scours in the last 5 years, and havent vaccinated cows against it. Always treated when saw anything. THe calves lost were from cows, about 7 years old, not heifers. We may, however, begin a scourgard program. We had a test done, and e coli was found, thats it. Weve been very aggressive in treating any calve seen with a messy behind as per vets instructions. I was hoping on a 100%calf crop, it was until these 2 went down. Very disturbing to me. criticism is not welcome, but helpful advice sure is!

You can go for years without losing any and suddenly out of nowhere get the problem. We treat agressively too. Look at every calf twice a day with meds on hand. We don't wait for a messy butt, we treat the first signs of a sluggish calf and take culture. We have over 100% live calf crop so far this spring. The ones that scoured didn't respond to the treatment. You are never sure what will work until you get your culture and sensitivity back. I treated one for three days getting worse every day took him to the vet and put on an IV for 5 days (wish I had done that sooner). Took him home still very weak, but over the scours. Then finally got the culture/sensitivity and changed to Naxel for 5 days to bring him back to his bouncing playful self. Seems you just never now how hard and fast it may hit or which drug will work this time.

[email protected]

Latest posts