re question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

dear q and a board i have a few questions about mad cow desease where is the disease common what type of disease is it what is the effect of this disease on the host and the method please answer my question for my question from jeremy

[email protected]

Mad cow is a prion disease which is properly termed Bovine Spongiform encephalpathy. The disease is from feeding bone meal (to cattle from sheep) that was improperly heated. The bonemeal contained bits of brain and some of it would have been contaminated with the disease called Scrapie. There are cases in England, France, most of Europe, Japan, a few in North America from imported cattle I believe. For full information, check out a search engine for either Mad Cow disease or bovine spongiform encephalopathy....I use google.com

> dear q and a board i have a few
> questions about mad cow desease
> where is the disease common what
> type of disease is it what is the
> effect of this disease on the host
> and the method please answer my
> question for my question from
> jeremy Mad Cow originated in Great Britain in the 80's. It was spread by feeding bovine slaughterhouse byproduct to other bovine. The incubation period to symptoms is up to 7 years. This resulted in undetected spread over a large area including other parts of Europe. Transmission rate to people is relatively as disease go considering millions of people ate tainted beef before anyone knew there was a problem. Bovine byproducts are not reused in feeds for bovine anymore(since 1996 in US), so the disease among cattle and humans will become very rare very soon. Less than 200 people worldwide contracted the disease(always fatal). To contrast consider that ever year several thousand people die from liver failure caused by over the counter pain killers from the ibuprofin family.

[email protected]

Latest posts