Re-Inserting CIDRS?

Help Support CattleToday:

SIMMGAL

Reaction score
Howdy all! :help:

Anyone ever put CIDRS back in their cattle after breeding? If so, fill me in! I personally haven't, but I've had a couple people recommend it to me here lately. Just curious as to what your conception rates are running and whether or not it's worked for you.

Thanks in advance! :D

When I was AIing I never put the CIDR back in after breeding, don't know why you would, seems like it may do more harm than good, but don't know, just a guess. Once they were bred, it's out of the chute to the pasture waiting on a clean up bull in two weeks. I average about 60% conception rate using lute, GnRH and CIDR's. I only cycle the cows once and then let the clean up bull take care of the open cows.

Alan":1yx7a8rn said:
When I was AIing I never put the CIDR back in after breeding, don't know why you would, seems like it may do more harm than good, but don't know, just a guess. Once they were bred, it's out of the chute to the pasture waiting on a clean up bull in two weeks. I average about 60% conception rate using lute, GnRH and CIDR's. I only cycle the cows once and then let the clean up bull take care of the open cows.

Thank you for the reply! I have heard that it helps to bring the ones who didn't catch to the original service back into heat around the same time. It's apparently not supposed to harm an existing pregnancy. I'm still not too sure if I'm brave enough to try it!

I try to AI the majority of my purebred herd if at all possible, so I'm all about trying to increase conception rates! :lol2:

I've been talking to my ET guru about doing this with some recip cows ... the idea (he hatched) is basically:

May 27th = CIDR in
June 3rd = CIDR out, shots, patches
June 13th = Embryo in (or the cow is kicked out for a bad heat)
June 19th = CIDR back in everything (including the ones that got an embryo the first time)
June 26th = CIDR out, shots, patches
July 6th = Embryo in (for any that cycled the 2nd time, including any that received (but didn't keep) their first embryo

My cidr manual from Pfizer (now Zoetis) has putting cidrs in for a 2nd round especially on heifers. I have lent the manual to a neighbour so don't have it to hand but it is basically putting them in about 8 days before they are due back in and then pulling them out so all the open ones will come back in together so it is easier to heat detect. I do not use that protocol but may be worthwhile on my heifers as I usually get a few that I have to do a 2nd time after a good insemination, some just seem to need a kick start with their 1st heat and then are good to go on their 2nd heat. I rarely have a heifer in calf to the cleanup bull. It might be worthwhile trying that protocol to help pick up those that need a 2nd insemination.

It is good business for Zoetis to recommend that protocol of course they don't count on people reusing cidrs.

Ken

WalnutCrest":1or91ajy said:
I've been talking to my ET guru about doing this with some recip cows ... the idea (he hatched) is basically:

May 27th = CIDR in
June 19th = CIDR back in everything (including the ones that got an embryo the first time)
July 6th = Embryo in (for any that cycled the 2nd time, including any that received (but didn't keep) their first embryo

I'll be interested to see how that goes! Let me know how that works out for you! I'm just AIing this group, I don't have any recips this go-round!

wbvs58":1or91ajy said:
My cidr manual from Pfizer (now Zoetis) has putting cidrs in for a 2nd round especially on heifers. I have lent the manual to a neighbour so don't have it to hand but it is basically putting them in about 8 days before they are due back in and then pulling them out so all the open ones will come back in together so it is easier to heat detect. I do not use that protocol but may be worthwhile on my heifers as I usually get a few that I have to do a 2nd time after a good insemination, some just seem to need a kick start with their 1st heat and then are good to go on their 2nd heat. I rarely have a heifer in calf to the cleanup bull. It might be worthwhile trying that protocol to help pick up those that need a 2nd insemination.

It is good business for Zoetis to recommend that protocol of course they don't count on people reusing cidrs.

Ken

Thanks for the info! I wonder if I could find an online version of that manual, I'd be curious to read more about that! Interesting to know that the company has an opinion on it. I've had it recommended that I put them back in 48 hours after AI and leave them in until a few days before their next expected heat. I wonder what the difference is between that and 8 days before their next expected heat? I'd really love to find some sort of study about it, but maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet yet! :lol2:

SIMMGAL":l3z7dves said:
WalnutCrest":l3z7dves said:

May 27th = CIDR in

I'll be interested to see how that goes! Let me know how that works out for you! I'm just AIing this group, I don't have any recips this go-round!

wbvs58":l3z7dves said:

Ken

Thanks for the info! I wonder if I could find an online version of that manual, I'd be curious to read more about that! Interesting to know that the company has an opinion on it. I've had it recommended that I put them back in 48 hours after AI and leave them in until a few days before their next expected heat. I wonder what the difference is between that and 8 days before their next expected heat? I'd really love to find some sort of study about it, but maybe I haven't dug deep enough on the internet yet! :lol2:

Before I wrote that reply I searched for an online version of that manual but could not get anything to show up. I'll chase up my neighbour and try to get it back and when I do I'll copy the relevant pages for you. I should learn from previous experiences with lending books, people just don't seem to return them, I don't think they even read them, just put them on the pile and then throw them out.

Ken

Latest posts