re: HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
o.k know she is watering at the eyes. she is a yellow calf, so maybe it is more prominant on her hair,.

cowboyup216":1m2m5uco said:
This could be from any number of things, coccidiosis, worms, etc. What color is the poop? That would help alot!

she is to young for worms and there is no bloood in the manure she passed. the color is yollow-green.

If her mother was/is wormy, she could have been born with worms - it is a common occurance (sp?) in a number of species.

Has she started nibbling on her Mom's hay?
If she has just started there is a small chance she might have a small compaction. Just give it a little time.
If it doesn't get better by morning call the vet.

If this calf has just started nibbling hay at 22 days old, cow_crazy_101 has much bigger problems than a constipated calf!

msscamp":2ijsr658 said:
If this calf has just started nibbling hay at 22 days old, cow_crazy_101 has much bigger problems than a constipated calf!

Thats what I was thinking.

Drench her with oil. It wont hurt anything and it might help.

msscamp":j2vo0q6y said:

I Agree! :lol: :D :) She is eating grass. but is slower learning since it took Izzy almost 18 days to except her.

o.k this is a long story, Feb 12 Izzy had her calf which caught scours while we were all out of town, we found out to late and he died 18 days later feb 28. So we wanted to keep her in production and put my bottle baby on her everything was good, she tolerated him but only just.He stayed on her for 7 days. Them a friend had a cow prolaspe and die.Sunnys mother. she got the antibodies from her birth mother for 24 hours them her real mom died. So we brought Sunny home and put her on Izzy. but Izzy did not take to her very well at all. at first we were tying Izzys back legs to the chute. did that for a week them we started putting in the same stall ect. anyways this past weeek she started letting her suck in the feild. But she wil kick 1 time and them let her suck. So she is not learning from her mother how to do anything. she is finding out on her own.ex eating grass, hay, drinking water.

I drenched her with Pedeilite, oil , and water so she does not become dehidrated sp?.

Should i give her anyother shots beside B12??i have some Nuflore, and Penniclicn..should i give any of those???

I wouldnt give the antibiotics unless you think there is a reason to other than the constipation. If she is otherwise normal stay away from them.

Im not sure how much pediolyte you gave her in a drench, but she probably needs more. Dehydration could defenitely be a source of compaction. I would go with a commercial electrolyte for cattle, its probably cheaper than the pediolyte.

Water in itself, wont help her recover from dehydration as it doesnt thave the required minerals.

As far as what else to do I would give her some yogurt or probios being she is just starting on grass and developed this problem.

Sorry about that i erased the message !! did not mean too!!!!!

anyway what does watery eyes mean??

cow_crazy_101":1iqrp6qu said:

Have ya' had a lotta wind?

Alice

cow_crazy_101":1erzr7my said:

Watery eyes can be caused by pink-eye, or it can also be caused by any type of foreign body being blown/getting into their eyes. Please be advised that if the foreign body is not washed out by the tears, it can lead to pink-eye due to a build up of bacteria.

Latest posts