RE: Calf Milk Replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that has been quite sick with scours, I have her on twice daily injections Baytril 4ml. each shot. I also had her on Baytril pills twice a day. The problem is that I put her on electrolytes fluid for 24 hours, and her stool goes back to normal,but as soon as I start to reintroduce her to the milk she comes back with the scours. This has been going on for weeks, is there anything else I should be doing? I have also tried reducing her milk and adding the electrolytes, buy using 1/2 tsp of the powder and 1/2 of the milk requirement.

[email protected]

There's an article on scours on my web site that may help you.

If you are mixing the electrolytes with milk replacer and/or are feeding the electrolytes too close to the time you feed the milk replacer, you could be interfering with the calf's formation of a cud and contributing to the scours. The article explains this.

Hope you calf is better soon!

Electrolytes for Scouring Calves

The type of milk replacer you are feeding may contribute to scours as well. The cheap soy products are a culprit. I use the medicated milk based type since I had run into that problem before.

[email protected]

> There's an article on scours on my
> web site that may help you.

> If you are mixing the electrolytes
> with milk replacer and/or are
> feeding the electrolytes too close
> to the time you feed the milk
> replacer, you could be interfering
> with the calf's formation of a cud
> and contributing to the scours.
> The article explains this.

> Hope you calf is better soon!

Try putting a raw egg per bottle. It help us. Also, see if you can get the calf to eat hay. Good Luck!

ps. after giving the egg watch closely so the calf does not go to the other extreme.

[email protected]

> I have a calf that has been quite
> sick with scours, I have her on
> twice daily injections Baytril
> 4ml. each shot. I also had her on
> Baytril pills twice a day. The
> problem is that I put her on
> electrolytes fluid for 24 hours,
> and her stool goes back to

> normal,but as soon as I start to
> reintroduce her to the milk she
> comes back with the scours. This
> has been going on for weeks, is
> there anything else I should be
> doing? I have also tried reducing
> her milk and adding the
> electrolytes, buy using 1/2 tsp of
> the powder and 1/2 of the milk
> requirement.

you need to give her a chance to adjust to the replacer. Leave her on it and as long as she is drinking and looking healthy she should be ok. Different animals have different ways of digesting just like people do. Make sure the replacer is a milk based 20% protein and 20% fat minimum! I am not familar with the medicine you mentioned but I normally add 1-2 tbsp Terramycin powder each feeding for at least 4 days then reduce it to 1 time per day till the calf is not scouring anymore. You may also want to start her on a calf starter grain and introduce a little grass or oat hay. We raise a lot of calves for replacements for dairies and deal with scours daily! Watch the color. If it is white or orange (like mac and cheese) there is a more sevier problem. Best of luck and feel free to email me if you need anything.

[email protected]