Re: Bull Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

Well, some are young heifers that we will be sending to market most likely. Others are calves, and some I just don't want bred. That leaves only some that need bulls. Thats why I'm asking if anyone knew of breeders.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Yeah... No leg pulling... The reason I posted was because I needed to know if anyone knew of any bulls for sale. I have an angus farm in MO, no lies, that is missing bulls. What is so hard to believe? we only give 30-40 cows to a bull. And we have more than 50 steers in lots back in our barn. So adding all of what we don't breed up, there are not as many cows as you would think. Apparently you wouldn't know much about the Angus buisiness other wise you would mind your own.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Yeah... No leg pulling... The
> reason I posted was because I
> needed to know if anyone knew of
> any bulls for sale. I have an
> angus farm in MO, no lies, that is
> missing bulls. What is so hard to
> believe? we only give 30-40 cows
> to a bull. And we have more than
> 50 steers in lots back in our
> barn. So adding all of what we
> don't breed up, there are not as
> many cows as you would think.
> Apparently you wouldn't know much
> about the Angus buisiness other
> wise you would mind your own.

Don't want to start a pissing contest, but may I humbly suggest that you "say what you mean and mean what you say". As I recall, your original post essentially made reference to 200 cows for 2 bulls, and that would clearly be a ridiculous ratio. The other posters were responding to what seemed to be a joke of sorts! In later posts you now indicate that 50 of the "original" 200 are really steers and that you really only try to get each bull to service 30 to 40 cows --- quite a different scenario! If you have a really tight, controlled breeding season 30 or 40 cows to a bull might even be pushing the bulls a little hard. Do all the cows that you really want to get bred actually get bred? And what's with the comment to the effect that there are some that you just don't want to get bred --- why would that ever be the case? (Unless they are heifers that you feel are to young to be bred, in which case it would seem foolish to have them running around with the bulls in the first place)
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Alright look. The people on my farm know what they're doing. Nothing bad has become of how we do things. All of you have just started acting like you know everything and you can tell me how to run things. I will run my farm the way i have been for many years. Anything you say can't change that. I posted here looking for bulls so I wouldn't have to go without them and everyone else starts a huge deal about I should have more than 2 bulls. Hello? That is why i came here in the first place!
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Alright look. The people on my
> farm know what they're doing.
> Nothing bad has become of how we
> do things. All of you have just
> started acting like you know
> everything and you can tell me how
> to run things. I will run my farm
> the way i have been for many
> years. Anything you say can't
> change that. I posted here looking
> for bulls so I wouldn't have to go
> without them and everyone else
> starts a huge deal about I should
> have more than 2 bulls. Hello?
> That is why i came here in the
> first place!

Arnold I don't think anyone was meaning to insult you. You have to get to know these guys a little they poke fun at each other all the time. Most is in a good natured way.I think what happened is you poasted 200 cows for 2 bulls. While I am no expert That is a few to little bulls as even if 2 bulls ran togeather with 200 cows, they would fight. If they were seperate they would have 100 cows each and they would breed arround the clock. If they ran all summer that would help but calfing would be a hoot.. because you would be calving arround the clock for mos. This was how people saw it, I am sure someone would help you locate a bull or two if you clearly told us what you want.OK?? Ps. I'm into beefalo just so you know!! Good Luck.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Question, Can one six year old bull breed 50 cows? I think he can. Now if one bull can breed 50 cows, there are two calfing seasons, spring and fall, then it seems quite possible for two bulls to breed 100 cow once for spring season and again for the fall season. So is it posibble to cut the two seasons to a six week or two month window.? I am not a big rancher but it does seem possible althought the Bull might get tired....ALF...

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Question, Can one six year old
> bull breed 50 cows? I think he
> can. Now if one bull can breed 50
> cows, there are two calfing
> seasons, spring and fall, then it
> seems quite possible for two bulls
> to breed 100 cow once for spring
> season and again for the fall
> season. So is it posibble to cut
> the two seasons to a six week or
> two month window.? I am not a big
> rancher but it does seem possible
> althought the Bull might get
> tired....ALF...

Alf, Yes I suppose they could--But we were talking 200 cows for 2 bulls Now if all is equal,the cows cycle normally then the 2 bulls would be very busy. Why because if there not fighting,but are actually breeding that is still 100 head ea. The owners did not express they were spliting the herd.Maybe they will.But that is an assumption on your part.By your formula that would work.NO problem.But we were going by there post of 200 cows and 2 Bulls.Cindy

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Darcy...don't think anyone wanted to ruffle your feathers! Just your original post of 200 cattle for 2 bulls or so was a little misleading--you later clarified this.

People on this board are more than willing to help others. Of course, there is an occasional maverick response by someone.

When you say you are going to run your operation the way you always have (implying you aren't interested in anyone else's opinion or advice), that comment tends to turn off some people. Learning is a lifelong process...no one has all the answers and we can all profit by others' opinions and experiences and knowledge (good, bad, or indifferent).

"Go with the winners---learn from the losers"

[email protected]
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
0
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
Hey!! run your farm as you have been doing but in my farm I have at least one bull per 20 cows and I have lots of them. Maybe if you have a Jersey Bull in your farm it will cover the 200 cows and you won't need the other bull, LOL.

Darcey":17cgrhht said:
Alright look. The people on my farm know what they're doing. Nothing bad has become of how we do things. All of you have just started acting like you know everything and you can tell me how to run things. I will run my farm the way i have been for many years. Anything you say can't change that. I posted here looking for bulls so I wouldn't have to go without them and everyone else starts a huge deal about I should have more than 2 bulls. Hello? That is why i came here in the first place!
 

Latest posts

Top