re Breed Heiferette Market ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
You see some stylish black heiferettes being bought to go back with the bull. Lucky for them, but how does this pencil out when you don't get a calf for a year and the resulting 3 year old cow is jumbo sized? Wouldn't buyers be better off with a moderate bred cow? :idea:

Stocker Steve":1te0omns said:
You see some stylish black heiferettes being bought to go back with the bull. Lucky for them, but how does this pencil out when you don't get a calf for a year and the resulting 3 year old cow is jumbo sized? Wouldn't buyers be better off with a moderate bred cow? :idea:
I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.

RanchMan90":2o10887q said:
Stocker Steve":2o10887q said:
I think most of them are bought to resell. Everybody wants to buy jumbo size, second calf, spring calvers.
X2. I probably would.

RanchMan90":224k9f3r said:

I used to figure + $100 for a second calver over a 2 year old heifer. What price premium do you see in your area?

Stocker Steve":187k0grd said:
RanchMan90":187k0grd said:

I used to figure + $100 for a second calver over a 2 year old heifer. What price premium do you see in your area?
Similar. Individuals bidding can really jack up the prices, $100-$250 premium. Could be more at a "special sale".

So, not exposed, ever? Or didn't take within their breeding season and sold? Or lost their first calf/ aborted, etc.?

I seldom hear the term. I assumed they were heifers that didn't take and were getting big.

General term, but in the RE breed world it means they are 2 year olds who lost their calf at or shortly after birth. :(
So you buy a 1000+ pound wet ex mother with terminal angus genetics and re breed her before she gets too fat.
If she gains 1 1/4 per day you will soon have a 1,456# second calver. :banana: Just what all the beef efficiency experts talk about.
I did a few when the market was on the way up, and they looked really great in the pasture, but they were not the best return. If I had more rope I could have made them all nurse cows. :idea:

Around here "Heiferettes" are spayed heifers, so putting them with a bull in hopes of a calf is definitely not going to work for you

I see them as all needing to go to the packer. Just buying someone else's cull. There's usually a "bad" reason a good looking young open cow is being sold.

I dont like open heifers past 15-16 months old. I figure they didnt breed and they are being sold. I like young heifers so I can breed to my bulls from day one. Not the biggest money maker but after the second calf I am confident in the animal I have and when I sell I dont lie. Bred heifers for me, no way. Had a local guy that had all of his bred, first one came out so big, had to pull it, so big that it paralyzed the cow. He then ran all his girls to the sale, bred!!!. Poor guy who bought those must have got a work out during calving time. I just like things as sure of a bet as possible. That being said I dont want to pay too much for an unproven heifer, after I produce 2 calves with her, I market her up as a premium pair or keep her as a producer.

Latest posts