razorback snapper turtles

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I think these turtles have been given a bad reputation, falsely.

I know farmers say they live in the ponds and bite off teat ends, but honestly I have never had a problem with this. It really irks me that people see them crossing the roads, and intentionally run them over, one of my pet peeves for sure.

I think they are really cool looking, almost prehistoric. I'm wondering what are your thoughts on the razorbacks.

GMN

I just found an alligator snapper about 10 inches around by the barn several days ago. They all seem to be moving around this time of year. I think the hormones may be running a liitle rampantwith spring.
I called the MDC to see if they were interested as this is an endangered species according to the website.
He was more concerened with us keeping it than info. I kept explaining that I just thought they may want to tag etc.
He kept on about blah blah you could be fined, let them know if I was caught in possesion.
I just agreed and took it down to the river and turned it loose like I would have anyhow.

rgv":3hk8ayxk said:
I just found an alligator snapper about 10 inches around by the barn several days ago. They all seem to be moving around this time of year. I think the hormones may be running a liitle rampantwith spring.
I called the MDC to see if they were interested as this is an endangered species according to the website.
He was more concerened with us keeping it than info. I kept explaining that I just thought they may want to tag etc.
He kept on about blah blah you could be fined, let them know if I was caught in possesion.
I just agreed and took it down to the river and turned it loose like I would have anyhow.

You can be fined if they find out you have one? Thats bizarre, I didn't know they were on any endangered species list. Good you took it down to the river.

Gail

I pretty much leave snappers alone until I get too many in my 4 acre pond. I then take my lawn chair and my .22 and thin the herd so to speak. I have ducks that swim on the pond and too many snappers will decimate the hatchlings. I take out the bigger ones and leave the small stuff. I took out two big ones Saturday that were about 16" across with heads about the size of my fist.

When we were in junior high, that was my best friend's and my favorite passtime. Watch for the bubbles, wait for the head to stick out, aim and fire! Good times!

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/wildlife.html

I couldn't find it on the endangered species list. I did a google search and found conflicting info. One site said they were threatend and another site said they were the most common turtle in their state. Most sites didn't mention one way or another.

Walt

dun":2ji1lx9q said:
In MO the alligator snapper is considered rare
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/endangered ... r/allsnap/
The common snapper is considered food
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1996/06/50.html

Good websites.

I imagine it is the common snapper we see the most around here, the alligator snapper would be awesome to see, and should be protected. My issue is with the people who drive down the road, and purposely run them over, really ticks me off, and is just plain mean!

Gail