Raw Peanuts

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
A cousin gave me a bag of Valencia peanuts for Christmas. They are raw and very hard. Why? Best I can remember the raw peanuts were softer than these in the past.

Jogeephus":2p2sf02u said:
You may be thinking of raw green peanuts versus raw dried peanuts.

No raw peanuts in the shell I have eaten the boiled peanuts that are green peanuts and not to fond of them.

I'd think its a function of how dry they are. Green peanuts only stay green for a short while and the longer they dry the harder they get.

You're remembering wrong, hurley. Peanuts are never soft unless they're boiled. Just varying degrees of hardness as a function of moisture content like Jogee said.

I have no idea what variety of peanut that my grandfather raised. Only remember crawling into the barn loft and pulling peanuts off of the vines and eating them. I suspect that these peanuts still had a lot of oil in them. The peanut vines with the peanuts was his cow feed for the winter.

ALACOWMAN":35xj2nne said:
hurleyjd":35xj2nne said:
I have eaten the boiled peanuts that are green peanuts and not to fond of them.
You would not be welcomed in my home....those things are addictive :cowboy:
That's right, you can never eat enough.

People saying they don't like boiled peanuts I think can be mostly attributed to how they were cooked and specifically to how salty they are. They are almost always too salty when you buy them at a roadside stand. That comes from leaving them in the brine too long. It's just about impossible to get them too salty on first cooking them.

I remember the roadside stands when we would drive to Florida. I think every one of them sold boiled peanuts, and from what I can remember, they were plenty good.

ga.prime":2ynid3g7 said:
People saying they don't like boiled peanuts I think can be mostly attributed to how they were cooked and specifically to how salty they are. They are almost always too salty when you buy them at a roadside stand. That comes from leaving them in the brine too long. It's just about impossible to get them too salty on first cooking them.
I guess it's whatever you're used to. We raised peanuts when I was a kid an we always roasted them in the shells. When I left for the service later, saw boiled peanuts for the first time outside Memphis Tn.
Didn't care much for them either. Kinda gummy IMO and I was used to a more crunchy peanut.
Salt wasn't an issue.

greybeard":1cc46yh4 said:
We raised peanuts when I was a kid an we always roasted them in the shells.
I like those too. We call them parched peanuts and they're much better than any roasted in the shell peanuts you buy in a bag from the store.

" We call them parched peanuts"
Ah yes..that's what my father called them too..memory jogged. Spread them out in a big flat pan and stuck 'em in the oven and mom occasionally shook the pan so none would burn too badly on the bottom. Right out of the oven still warm were a pretty good treat for our family that didn't get many back in those days.
Made a nice aroma in the kitchen too. The little things I miss.......
Mostly tho, we fed the whole vines, peanuts and all to the cows same as JD said. Our soil was a pretty tight black gumbo so we had to pick the right time to pull em or run a single bottom plow along the rows to unearth them then go along and shake the dirt off the plants and peanuts.
Nowadays, ants would probably be a big problem..there weren't as many fire ants back then.
I haven't seen peanuts grown around here in a long time.

I remember too, my mother made a candy with the peanuts around Christmas..brittle using ribbon cane syrup.
So much better than the 'peanut patty' you would by at the 5/10 cent store.

greybeard":2znueg2q said:
Ah yes..that's what my father called them too..memory jogged. Spread them out in a big flat pan and stuck 'em in the oven and mom occasionally shook the pan so none would burn too badly on the bottom. Right out of the oven still warm were a pretty good treat for our family that didn't get many back in those days.
Mostly tho, we fed the whole vines, peanuts and all to the cows same as JD said. Our soil was a pretty tight black gumbo so we had to pick the right time to pull em or run a single bottom plow along the rows to unearth them then go along and shake the dirt off the plants and peanuts.
Nowadays, ants would probably be a big problem..there weren't as many fire ants back then.

I remember too, my mother made a candy with the peanuts around Christmas..brittle using ribbon cane syrup.

The only heat in our house at that time was an old cast iron heater. Every one huddled around it when it was cold. The peanuts went on top of the heater and that was the way we parched them.

greybeard":ytjb3hrf said:

Saw a display of peanut patties in a convenience store yesterday. $1.69 for one....just about passed out.

If you want to see a diabetes Dr come unglued, just take one out of your pocket in his office.....them things is pure sugar.

ga.prime":2g9qi1mb said:
They were an acquired taste for me. The first hand full I ever ate I hated, the second was not too bad, by the third I loved them. Now I can eat half a gallon at one sitting.

Latest posts