Raw milk for fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Gunner

Reaction score
Read an article that raw milk sprayed on a pasture would increase the microbial activity. Does anybody know if it is legal to sell raw milk in Texas? And if so, does anyone know of a place I might buy 200-300 gallons in the Stephenville area to try this theory?

Yes it's legal and it does work well as fertilizer but it's usually about twice as high as processed milk so would be pretty expensive fertilizer.

Contact one of the major bottlers and see what they do with contaminated milk they can't sell. Maybe they would be willing to just dump it at your place rather then pay someone to dispose of it.

I got some low-temp pasturized organic milk from a dairy that spoiled before we finished it. I was gonna give it to the chickens, but maybe I should use it on the veggies?

farmwriter":31fbyolr said:
I got some low-temp pasturized organic milk from a dairy that spoiled before we finished it. I was gonna give it to the chickens, but maybe I should use it on the veggies?

If you do be sure and throw some dirt over it or ever fly within 2 miles will be hanging around you place. :help:

dun":p8xe1yrx said:
Contact one of the major bottlers and see what they do with contaminated milk they can't sell. Maybe they would be willing to just dump it at your place rather then pay someone to dispose of it.

Here if the milk plant gets a load of contaminated milk it gets dumped in the yard of the farm who contaminated it.

We dumped around 7000 liters of milk one day as the relief milker forgot to turn on the refrigeration after cleaning the tank.. :mad: Maybe we should have sprayed it on the barley field instead.. Maybe the flies all would have went there instead of around the dairy barn. ;-)

hillsdown":1j9lglrb said:
dun":1j9lglrb said:

Here if the milk plant gets a load of contaminated milk it gets dumped in the yard of the farm who contaminated it.

We dumped around 7000 liters of milk one day as the relief milker forgot to turn on the refrigeration after cleaning the tank.. :mad: Maybe we should have sprayed it on the barley field instead.. Maybe the flies all would have went there instead of around the dairy barn. ;-)
If my numbers are right that is over 15,000 pounds of milk. Ouch!

hillsdown":2h7tgzmy said:
dun":2h7tgzmy said:

That's gotta be a sick feeling...never happened to me but had a friend have a buy a tanker load because of antibiotics....

hillsdown":2bp9fskf said:
dun":2bp9fskf said:

I forgot to turn the tank on after the morning milking once, had to dump it that night, now I have in big bold black letter message on the wall above the sink-TURN ON THE TANK? Works I won't ever do that nimrod thing again.

GMN

GMN":2dz0ykqx said:
hillsdown":2dz0ykqx said:
dun":2dz0ykqx said:

I forgot to turn the tank on after the morning milking once, had to dump it that night, now I have in big bold black letter message on the wall above the sink-TURN ON THE TANK? Works I won't ever do that nimrod thing again.

GMN
Reminds me of the time I forgot to swing the pipeline over into the bulk tank. Pumped most of that milking down the drain before I realized I couldn't remember putting it over. It was one of those mornings where I felt like a zombie. Now I double, triple, and even quadruple check to make sure it is in the tank.

lolol, we've all had our "brain dead" moments. Just the opposite Nova...was milking the cows that had medicine in them....suddenly remembered that I had NOT removed the pipe from the tank.....ran into the cooler room and literally tore it out....just as I did the milk pump came on and pumped the milk onto the floor...I ran antibiotic tests all morning while waiting on the field man to come by and pull a sample...luckily that must have been the first time the milk pump had come on with that group of cows. BUT....I made it a habit to look at the thermometer everytime I went by the milk tank...and to check the compressors everytime I went by them... just ano old habit.

TexasBred":csx7qf8c said:
lolol, we've all had our "brain dead" moments. Just the opposite Nova...was milking the cows that had medicine in them....suddenly remembered that I had NOT removed the pipe from the tank.....ran into the cooler room and literally tore it out....just as I did the milk pump came on and pumped the milk onto the floor...I ran antibiotic tests all morning while waiting on the field man to come by and pull a sample...luckily that must have been the first time the milk pump had come on with that group of cows. BUT....I made it a habit to look at the thermometer everytime I went by the milk tank...and to check the compressors everytime I went by them... just ano old habit.

I know there are mornings when the milkman comes and I do the same procedure, yet after my first set goes out I run to the tank, can't remember if I shut the valve on the tank. There have been times when I worried about putting a dry cow, that had a leg band fall off in the tank. I have my own antibiotic test kit, so I have had to stay up real late a night or 2 running a tank sample, it always was alright, but it gives me that sick feeling when you think you made a mistake, and then when you find out you didn't its all good.Knock on wood I have never put a hot cow in the tank yet.

GMN

GMN":gn73mbe9 said:
I know there are mornings when the milkman comes and I do the same procedure, yet after my first set goes out I run to the tank, can't remember if I shut the valve on the tank. There have been times when I worried about putting a dry cow, that had a leg band fall off in the tank. I have my own antibiotic test kit, so I have had to stay up real late a night or 2 running a tank sample, it always was alright, but it gives me that sick feeling when you think you made a mistake, and then when you find out you didn't its all good.Knock on wood I have never put a hot cow in the tank yet.

GMN

A poor soul can get down right intoxicated sitting around waiting on that sample to cook. :lol2:

We were having problems with our squash getting bloom end rot. My husband read that it was caused by lack of calcium.
He "watered" the zuchinni and yellow squash with milk and it solved the problem. The plants are doing great and we are getting a lot of squash. He watered the tomatoes also and they are really loaded this year.

chippie":2dkuhyqa said:
We were having problems with our squash getting bloom end rot. My husband read that it was caused by lack of calcium.
He "watered" the zuchinni and yellow squash with milk and it solved the problem. The plants are doing great and we are getting a lot of squash. He watered the tomatoes also and they are really loaded this year.

Skim or whole?? :lol2: :hide:

chippie":2cdsr8sy said:
It's lack of calcium uptake but not necessarily due to lack of calcium in the ground. Foliar feeding the calcium does seem to help. (plants absorb nutrients if sprayed on them before 10AM or after 6PM... these are times when plant is allowing moisture in, but not preventing it from evaporating as in heat of the day)
Blessings
Valerie

Latest posts