Rattlesnake

Help Support CattleToday:

My Thompson contender with a 410 shotgun shell has taken care of quite a few rattlers here on our South Texas ranch. Last year I dispatched a few snakes but this year I haven't seen a single rattler. We do have a bumper crop of Roadrunners and more hogs than usual this year. Maybe the Roadrunners and the hogs are keeping them
In check this year?
What size shot you using in that 410?

So this morning I was changing tarps on the flood irrigation. I was on a ditch that I had been late spraying it. There was a bunch of dying weeds and grass blocking things up. I chopped away with my shovel so I could get the tarp to set. I swing the tarp out and climb into the ditch on the up stream end of the tarp. I step on the edge of the tarp to hold it down until I can shovel some rocks or mud on to hold it down. The ditch begins to fill while I am standing in 2 feet of water. I turn to face up stream to dig out some mud. I see the weeds moving. Something is swimming in the ditch about 3 feet from me. OH!!!! it is a rattler. It goes up on the bank. It is in heavy grass about 2 feet tall. I can see the grass moving so I start hacking in there with the shovel. I felt it hit him a couple times but I couldn't see him. His head came out in an open spot where I had a clear shot. Off with his head. It had 10 rattles and a button. One less snake on my place.
I don't know about where y'all live, but rattlesnakes (I've been told) are a protected species. Maybe it's just our Eastern Timber Diamondbacks that are illegal to kill, but you might not want to advertise this.

I don't know about where y'all live, but rattlesnakes (I've been told) are a protected species. Maybe it's just our Eastern Timber Diamondbacks that are illegal to kill, but you might not want to advertise this.
They are not protected here. Just about everyone kills every one of them they see. And if they get a big one or a bunch in a single day they brag about it. Different methods of killing them is discussed regularly in front of law enforcement.

They are not protected here. Just about everyone kills every one of them they see. And if they get a big one or a bunch in a single day they brag about it. Different methods of killing them is discussed regularly in front of law enforcement.
Timber Rattlers aka Canebrake are protected in Texas

Dave you guys must not have the timber rattler as they are protected in all states they inhabit.

Talking to people when I tell them where I live they often say how they drive up the canyon past my house to go snake hunting. Not too long before dark on a day like today (95) you will find rattlers crawling across the gravel road. My theory is they are headed down to the river to get a drink.

Latest posts