Rattlesnake bite and bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
We had a little heifer rattlesnake bit a couple of weeks ago; it must have got her on the throat because she was also bloated. I administered banamine and an antibiotic for the bite and Therabloat for the bloat. The Therabloat didn't work so I needled her--that didn't work either. I finally ended up hosing her, which did work. Now she seems habitually bloated, except that the bloated bulge isn't as high on her side as normal bloat is. Could I have damaged something with the needle or the hose?

I had a 2 month old heifer swell up alot on her back leg, I figured a snakebite. I lanced it and got the fluid and cheesy looking puss out. I flushed it out with hydrogen peroxide and gave her a shot of LA200. Now, 2 months later the swelling finally went down, she never limped on it at all, I just couldn't see a reason to have a big knot form on her leg if I could help her. I'm sure it had formed a wall that kept the infection seperated from her anyway. It may have not even been a snakebite, it was just new to me. A friend of mine gave me the courage to cut it open and drain it. If you got fluid, not blood, you need to lance it and get that stuff out good. That way it doesn't form a big hard knot that lowers her value. When you get it done your gonna see that cheesy puss come out. Then fill the syringe, no needle and flush it. I hope she heals good, I may not have it just right, but just saying what worked for me. Been raising cattle most of my life, but I still feel green sometimes. I don't always call a vet, I usually go by and get some counseling and by the medications to administer, it's faster and easier for us both. :)

But the problem is that the bite was on her neck--underneath. We figured initially that it must have caused enough swelling of her throat to cause the bloat. We did threat the bloat by hosing her, but now she seems to always bloat slightly every time she eats. Also the bloat is not high on her side like you usually see bloat.

Latest posts