Rate this bag

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
The title says it all. 5 year old cow with a 6 week old calf on her.

Attachments

• DCAE73C2-DAF0-41A7-9DDC-717F2740A22D.jpeg
    DCAE73C2-DAF0-41A7-9DDC-717F2740A22D.jpeg
    976.1 KB · Views: 40
Then you're cooking with gas!
Yeah, that's not the best picture because she's mid stride. Standing still they are all nice and level. Good volume, good attachment and good teats. When i bought her i was told she was due in 3 months but she calved after about a month. I would have never known she was close if she hadn't been off by herself in the woods that morning. Too bad the guy bred her to a dexter.

nice to see bigbluegrass used the right terminology (udder.) when I read the title, I was expecting a bag of groceries or something.

Udder and teats look great to me. How does she milk? Raise a big calf?
i just bought her a couple of months ago and she was bred to a very small dexter bull. she produced a large bull calf and he is being out paced by another bull calf but the sire of that calf is a monster and the dam is part chianina so it's not a fair comparison. but i'd say yes.

i just bought her a couple of months ago and she was bred to a very small dexter bull. she produced a large bull calf and he is being out paced by another bull calf but the sire of that calf is a monster and the dam is part chianina so it's not a fair comparison. but i'd say yes.
As you pointed out, the bull she is bred to has a lot to do with how big of a calf she can raise. Maybe next year you can test her out a bit more with a bull with a bit more growth.

I hope she does well for you! I have learned that appearances can be deceiving as far as how much milk a cow can give. Sometimes those cows with nice udders can really milk well. Other times, they don't. Some of those with big nasty udders don't milk worth a darn, some do.

As you pointed out, the bull she is bred to has a lot to do with how big of a calf she can raise. Maybe next year you can test her out a bit more with a bull with a bit more growth.

I hope she does well for you! I have learned that appearances can be deceiving as far as how much milk a cow can give. Sometimes those cows with nice udders can really milk well. Other times, they don't. Some of those with big nasty udders don't milk worth a darn, some do.
The half dexter is left rear. Born May 2, center is a heifer born April 28, and right is a bull born May 20. He's at a genetic disadvantage but seems to be holding his own. I think she's probably milking ok.

Attachments

• 91860A7E-483A-43D5-B3D4-2341ACD13A05.jpeg
    91860A7E-483A-43D5-B3D4-2341ACD13A05.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
The baldy bull is her half brother and he's going to be huge. That heifer looks like she's going to be put together pretty good her mother is a yellow baldy.

I see nothing wrong with her udder. I have a longhorn that has a "teacup" udder and her bull calf last year, out of an angus easy calving bull, went in the pen with several other steers, in the 500 lb range... she has a heifer this year and it is plenty fat. I don't care what the udder looks like as long as the calf can latch on and suck and she is producing enough milk. I try to keep heifers out of cows with better udder traits... but we buy and sell a few so the quantity and quality of the milk matters more to me than the shape of the udder.
Yes, nice sized teats, that are not huge or so tiny as to have trouble latching on to, is preferable... a huge dragging pendulous udder is not great.... but those are "culling strikes" long after other traits in my book.

I'm trying to buil
I see nothing wrong with her udder. I have a longhorn that has a "teacup" udder and her bull calf last year, out of an angus easy calving bull, went in the pen with several other steers, in the 500 lb range... she has a heifer this year and it is plenty fat. I don't care what the udder looks like as long as the calf can latch on and suck and she is producing enough milk. I try to keep heifers out of cows with better udder traits... but we buy and sell a few so the quantity and quality of the milk matters more to me than the shape of the udder.
Yes, nice sized teats, that are not huge or so tiny as to have trouble latching on to, is preferable... a huge dragging pendulous udder is not great.... but those are "culling strikes" long after other traits in my book.
I'm trying to build a group of brood cows. I'd like to have 40 with an udder like this. I've got a 2 year old char x angus that just had her first calf and one teat is way too big for the calf and another almost is. Once the cslf is weaned she's headed to the sale barn.