Rate these Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":375b11tl said:
Brute 23":375b11tl said:
I would rather have my money in those 25 cattle than in the bank... ;-)

Buy the 25... get the best price you can with out being a PITA... they will be fine. Only thing I didn't like was his bull...
that would be my brother in law,,,he would worry the feller to death trying too lower the price, and when they finally gave in, he would back out.. but i was able too buy my land at a discount from a guy he pulled this on.

I can't stand that. I like a good deal as much as the next person... but good business says to find a spot in the middle where both people are happy... or can atleast live with. Screwing some one for you own benefit will come back to haunt you in the long run... IMO... its called Karma. :D

marksmu":1zdngtjh said:
Final set of photos - Looked at a set yesterday. They are 3n1's and were a little bit better looking set than the first group I posted. This group has literally no grass, and has been on 30% cubes 70% sorghum stubble. This poor guy has been hit hard by the drought, and caught only 2.5 inches recently....

I made an offer on this group - his asking was $1050 - and I offered 10% less based on their slightly lower condition and the fact they stated that if I didnt take em, they were headed to the barn next Monday. Way I figure if I haul em off for them, I am saving them a bit.... The only thing I am really worried about is that I am moving them from a pretty dry area, to a very wet area - and I am told they may lose a bit of weight the first couple months and require supplemental feed as a result of the increased water in the grass. My vet seems to think I should not worry b/c they will have more grass and more nutrients but does think they may lose for a month or two before adequately stretching their stomachs...

I am guessing most of these are a 4 on th BCS scale. Just my guess though.

I guess Ill find out later today if they take my offer.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

their bcs is not that bad considering they are nursing calves
eared cattle are a little leaner built cattle.
if you like them (i do) i wouldn't be afraid of them
might give them some hay for a couple weeks

If you don't buy them, please pm me and tell me where they are. 3n1's that are in decent shape (and yes Twisted X these are in decent shape) for $950 (if he takes your offer) is a no brainer. If you look up BCS on the extension websites and look at the pictures, I think you will find that most of these cows would be considered a BCS 5 (there aren't many ribs showing).

bigag03":epol1eck said:
If you don't buy them, please pm me and tell me where they are. 3n1's that are in decent shape (and yes Twisted X these are in decent shape) for $950 (if he takes your offer) is a no brainer. If you look up BCS on the extension websites and look at the pictures, I think you will find that most of these cows would be considered a BCS 5 (there aren't many ribs showing).

same here
if you don't want them i'd like to have them

He rejected the $950 but we came to a reasonable agreement. He is going to let me pick off the pairs with heifer calves from the first years, and the pairs with heifer calves from his second calf heifers to fill out as many heifer/heifer pairs as I can.

What we dont pick up is going to the auction barn on Wednesday. Ill post whats left after I pick through them all this weekend. He has quite a few more than what I am buying.

marksmu":2d77gvm8 said:
He rejected the $950 but we came to a reasonable agreement. He is going to let me pick off the pairs with heifer calves from the first years, and the pairs with heifer calves from his second calf heifers to fill out as many heifer/heifer pairs as I can.

What we dont pick up is going to the auction barn on Wednesday. Ill post whats left after I pick through them all this weekend. He has quite a few more than what I am buying.

Unless your market is much better than ours he won't get his $1050 for them. Course there's always someone willing to give more than something is worth especially if the seller is bidding on his own cattle.Saw a few really good strout young brangus pair sell last week for $1100. Much better than anything I've seen in these groups. Why do you want cow with heifer calves ??

TexasBred":1c923eey said:
marksmu":1c923eey said:

Unless your market is much better than ours he won't get his $1050 for them. Course there's always someone willing to give more than something is worth especially if the seller is bidding on his own cattle.Saw a few really good strout young brangus pair sell last week for $1100. Much better than anything I've seen in these groups. Why do you want cow with heifer calves ??[/quote] my guess would be for replacements,,, but id soon start off with steers,,get some return than breed em back too a bull of my chosein'

alacattleman":33w40lem said:
TexasBred":33w40lem said:
marksmu":33w40lem said:

Unless your market is much better than ours he won't get his $1050 for them. Course there's always someone willing to give more than something is worth especially if the seller is bidding on his own cattle.Saw a few really good strout young brangus pair sell last week for $1100. Much better than anything I've seen in these groups. Why do you want cow with heifer calves ??[/quote] my guess would be for replacements,,, but id soon start off with steers,,get some return than breed em back too a bull of my chosein'

Exactly :idea:

Well - I picked em up on Sunday - that was an all day ordeal. The momma cows wanted nothing to do with being separated from their calves for the trip down. They put up a big ole show and we ended up having to not buy one that we wanted as she got caught up in the corral panels during loading and was injured. Seller was nice - and removed her and her calf from the deal, and substituted another of our choice.

We did get all heifers - 20 bred heifers, and 20 heifer calves - I did not start with steers, as I do want to build up my herd. I am going to let the bred heifers calve out their 2nd or 3rd calve (all 20 were either 2nd calve or 3rd calve) and then breed back the calves on the ground now and the moms after calving at the same time....It may mean waiting a few addittional months to get them all on the same schedule, but since I am only there 2 days out of the week, I want to be able to have them birthing in the same general time frame. I do have help while I am gone, but I prefer to do most everything myself. That way I know it was done right.

I do not need the return on capital immediately - I am treating this as a savings account. I want to get up to a good number, with as few health problems as possible. I think I can accomplish that by having good quality grass, good vaccination schedules, and heavy culling of the non-performing cows. I figure if Im going to start out - I might as well start out doing everything right, rather than pasting together something functional over years and years. I waited 3 years to get everything ready and built, so Im hoping it all works out.

Now if nature would only cooperate with me. - We have gotten 22 inches of rain in the last 10 days. We needed some rain - but its getting a bit ridiculous.

Here are the pics of what we ended up with. Maybe I paid too much but I am happy with what I got, and I made some new friends buying.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

marksmu":2nwdl6gb said:
Well - I picked em up on Sunday - that was an all day ordeal. The momma cows wanted nothing to do with being separated from their calves for the trip down. They put up a big ole show and we ended up having to not buy one that we wanted as she got caught up in the corral panels during loading and was injured. Seller was nice - and removed her and her calf from the deal, and substituted another of our choice.

We did get all heifers - 20 bred heifers, and 20 heifer calves - I did not start with steers, as I do want to build up my herd. I am going to let the bred heifers calve out their 2nd or 3rd calve (all 20 were either 2nd calve or 3rd calve) and then breed back the calves on the ground now and the moms after calving at the same time....It may mean waiting a few addittional months to get them all on the same schedule, but since I am only there 2 days out of the week, I want to be able to have them birthing in the same general time frame. I do have help while I am gone, but I prefer to do most everything myself. That way I know it was done right.

I do not need the return on capital immediately - I am treating this as a savings account. I want to get up to a good number, with as few health problems as possible. I think I can accomplish that by having good quality grass, good vaccination schedules, and heavy culling of the non-performing cows. I figure if Im going to start out - I might as well start out doing everything right, rather than pasting together something functional over years and years. I waited 3 years to get everything ready and built, so Im hoping it all works out.

Now if nature would only cooperate with me. - We have gotten 22 inches of rain in the last 10 days. We needed some rain - but its getting a bit ridiculous.

Here are the pics of what we ended up with. Maybe I paid too much but I am happy with what I got, and I made some new friends buying.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

welcome too brangus world the overprotective %#&@# :p

marksmu":qs2jtc6a said:
I do not need the return on capital immediately - I am treating this as a savings account.
:lol2: :p Taxshelter I could believe. Sadly, savings account is stretching it even at current rates. Have fun and enjoy. It is what you mostly will earn from it. :nod:

1982vett":3jzit4ff said:
marksmu":3jzit4ff said:
I do not need the return on capital immediately - I am treating this as a savings account.
:lol2: :p Taxshelter I could believe. Sadly, savings account is stretching it even at current rates. Have fun and enjoy. It is what you mostly will earn from it. :nod:
aint that the truth... a death would either set you back or kick your intrest in the ass

Congrats on your purchase marksmu. Now, as soon as possible give all the "heifers" (cows) a good dose of IvomecPlus, the kind you have to inject subQ. Don't use Ivomec pour on, Dectomax, Safeguard pellets, paste or lick blocks -- at least not for this round. Along the gulf coast, and expecially at this time of year and with all this recent rain, you need to be proactive in getting the cattle dewormed and free of liver flukes -- and you need IvomecPlus or Valbazen (or a vet's special concostion containing corsulon) to get the flukes. Might as well dose the larger calves as well. Some folks along the coast will find it necessary to deworm 3 times a year, but twice per year is the norm. Go back over the CT archives for some links, pictures, & comments and/or read some of the stuff A&M has put out about how to "read" cattle turds. It's a good idea to actually roam all around your pastures every month or so to see just what you have in the way of forage, what the turds look like, check fences, etc. Sounds like you've got plenty of land to graze and perhaps to devote part of it to hay meadows so now that we are finally getting some moisture you might be in good shape. Learn all about being a grass farmer. You might want to look into some cross fencing and rotational grazing ideas as well.

I just quickly scanned through the prior posts, but are you sure they are 3 in 1's ? Were they vet palpated to be safe in calf or did the owner just tell you that they were being run with the bulls? Absent verification from a vet, I'd kinda be surprised if all those gals were bred back. You might need a bull sooner than you think. Good luck to you. AZ

Not all are going to be bred back - Some are very clearly bred. The ones with the younger calves (5) are not bred back. I believe 7 are heavy bred, and they came with large calves - most have been exposed to a lbw registered Brangus bull for the last 5 cycles, but they have not been palpated, so there was no guarantee. All (with the exception of the two very young calves) were dewormed by a vet (got the receipt) about a month ago. I have access to my neighbors bull if I need one, but at this point I am thinking about just letting the bred ones calve, and then getting the whole herd onto the same rotation for calving. It may cost me a few months that they could have been bred, but as far as working with my schedule and wanting to keep good records (I am OCD) I would like to keep one herd, and just turn the bull out when I am ready, and remove him when I am ready. That way I can get rid of any non-producers, and I can easily tell them apart.

Ive got a "plan" we just have to see how it goes.

I am having the vet out next week to look them over and make recommendations. I just could not get to it this week, as I had to borrow a set of portable working pens, and they are in use till next week. In the mean time though, I am starting work on my own permanent set.

Random update for anyone interested - Cows seem to be doing well. Here is a pic of one of them - she seems to be gaining pretty well. Have one with some strange thing going on with her lower abdomen (see other thread I started entitled "what is this?") Most appear to be gaining weight fairly rapidly, the calves are growing very quickly. I have had them on the grass for about 10 days now, and I have fed 1 50lb bag of cubes every other day. If the mosquitoes would go away, I would be in much better shape. Sorry about the lighting...the ranch is 55 miles from my house so I have to get up early to check on them and the sun is not quite up yet at this hour.

Also attached is a pic of the loader/unloader we made to get the cows off the truck...with the price of treated lumber we didnt save much building it ourselves as opposed to just buying a metal one; but it served its purpose.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Well at least you know that they can withstand some harsh stuff...I would get them if i had the money and felt comfortable with them...I would turn them out if you dont have the best grass put some hay bales in and feed them feed for a little while so they will get back on there game or4 until they all calve...

Latest posts