rat problem in barn

Help Support CattleToday:

my grandmas boyfriends cat got his ears mutilated by birds. he looked like someone earnotched him with the biggest number you can ear notch with and then the ear just collapsed.

Had some rats get into some feed with mga in it that I was useing to sic. some hefers last year.A few months went by before I noticed there weren't as many rats as usual. to make a long story short I spayed sugar on it put it out every where and now I'll go a week or more before I even see one . Just a thought

I've got a barn owl and at least one "rat snake" in my barn. The both seem to be pretty fat & sassy, but the owl sure craps a lot though, lots of hair & bone nuggets around.

But doesn't anybody use plain old-fashioned rat traps anymore? Just like mouse traps, only bigger and stronger. Bait them with peanut butter and enjoy the sound of the traps snapping shut.

have several cats as well as a dog that mouses...one of the cats, a Maine Coon loves to just hang around the calf hutches.......I assume to torture and then devour the mice and ground squirrels that come to feed. aint never seen one make it through alive yet.

I am not sure one has to starve a cat to get it to hunt,,,,I just think it's instinct.

One thing I would recommend is to keep your cats well wormed... as they eat fleas, and other parasites etc. when they eat rodents. :cboy:

Bama":qpkfxc16 said:
Sounds like a mocking bird. They do that. It probally wasn't a friendly act it was trying to drive the cat off.

You could very well be right, I don't know. If it wasn't friendly, why did the bird make all kinds of racket until the cat came out, but not after the cat came out? Whiskers wasn't the only cat in the neighborhood, but I never saw the bird do it to another cat. It was unusual!

seens lots of snakes out today and yesterday. yesterday i saw a baby black racer 3 different times in different spots of the yard. pretty sure it was the same one anyway. today i saw a baby king snake on front porch, black with ORANGE rings. pretty cool. then i saw either a brown water snake or a baby moccasin under the feed sack when i went to feed the bull tonight. the black racer was probably over a foot but the others were less than a foot. probably havent been hatched out too long.

msscamp":16541iv9 said:
Bama":16541iv9 said:
Sounds like a mocking bird. They do that. It probally wasn't a friendly act it was trying to drive the cat off.

You could very well be right, I don't know. If it wasn't friendly, why did the bird make all kinds of racket until the cat came out, but not after the cat came out? Whiskers wasn't the only cat in the neighborhood, but I never saw the bird do it to another cat. It was unusual!

I don't know why they pick on some cats and leave others alone. I have saw them dive bomb one cat and leave another alone. I just figured the one that was left alone was less threatning. We had one that would raise cane until it found the cat. As long as it new where the cat was it was calmer. It would sit on a wire watching the cat. When the cat would not be paying attention it would dive bomb it. One day the cat won, the bird was lunch.

Beefy":1ixxz36n said:
i apparently have a bobcat that takes care of mine. last night i heard the strangest sound while i was outside but couldnt see b/c it was dark. it was moving around though. i had never heard a bobcat make noises before so didnt know how to describe it really. anyway, this morning i almost ran over him when he darted out across the road from the barn. the renters left a pet rabbit behind that took up house in the barn but i havent seen it in a while...
Hmmmm..I wonder why? Perhaps the rabbit said, "E-h-h - - -what's up, Bob?"

DOC

msscamp":38yefua5 said:
Medic24":38yefua5 said:
And don't forget. like anything else, including cats, and humans,,,if ya can't feed em don't breed em!

please spay and neuter all your pets that you do not wish to breed intentionally.

Even a feral cat that is neutered, often is healthier and lives longer then an intact one.

Good point, thanks for mentioning that! Everything on the place is spayed/neutered except for the cattle and horses! ;-)
- - - - :shock: :shock: Even the people?? :roll:

DOC HARRIS":1j9z2ph6 said:
msscamp":1j9z2ph6 said:
Medic24":1j9z2ph6 said:
And don't forget. like anything else, including cats, and humans,,,if ya can't feed em don't breed em!

please spay and neuter all your pets that you do not wish to breed intentionally.

Even a feral cat that is neutered, often is healthier and lives longer then an intact one.

Good point, thanks for mentioning that! Everything on the place is spayed/neutered except for the cattle and horses! ;-)
- - - - :shock: :shock: Even the people?? :roll:

Pretty much!

Latest posts