Raspy cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Mom3tlc

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old Angus cross cow..I noticed a couple days ago she had a kind of a raspy noise when she breathed..it looked like her glands were swollen below her jaw?any ideas..she doesn't act sick..I am in fla

I would talk to your vet. The swelling in her glands would indicate she is fighting some sort of infection. She could improve on her own, or she could suddenly get much worse and her airway could be blocked and you'd have a dead cow. I would definitely include a vet in diagnosis. If you can't get a vet out, you might film her with your phone, and see if a vet would be willing to view it in a text. My vet will do this.

Agree - need to get a vet involved. It could be a number of things and with very little information provided, there's no way anyone can diagnose what's going on. That said, when you call your vet, be prepared: have you taken her temp? Looked in her mouth for an obstruction, sores or swollen tongue? Is she eating/drinking and does her poo look normal? Has she lost weight? Slobbering or any other symptoms?

My vet will also consult over the phone & with text. Good luck!

I would talk to your vet. The swelling in her glands would indicate she is fighting some sort of infection. She could improve on her own, or she could suddenly get much worse and her airway could be blocked and you'd have a dead cow. I would definitely include a vet in diagnosis. If you can't get a vet out, you might film her with your phone, and see if a vet would be willing to view it in a text. My vet will do this.
Thank you

I have a 4 yr old Angus cross cow..I noticed a couple days ago she had a kind of a raspy noise when she breathed..it looked like her glands were swollen below her jaw?any ideas..she doesn't act sick..I am in fla
Mature cows are tough. They don't show symptoms like calves and yrlings do.
Talk to your vet. Cows also require more to get them back to healthy.

Ok I'll bite, what about the water?
Just checking all the boxes, they're not immune to everything in the water and Florida is a humid tropical environment and I have no clue where the cow came from or how experienced the owner is. Bacteria and infections can occasionally stem from non-flowing uncleaned water troughs. Seen it happen once, maybe twice.

Does she have access to a mineral with Iodine? She could have a goiter.

As others have said, get your vet involved. By the time you cycle through all of the things that could be wrong, it will be too late unless you happen to get lucky and guess right on the first try.

If she is extending her nose out trying to breathe and has bad breath could be diphtheria. It's treatable if not too far along.

Latest posts