Raspy breathing in calf

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
The calf we bought today was a little raspy today after it drank its milk replacer. Could this be pnuemonia or just stress from the saleyard? Do I need to get an antibiotic?

I'm not a vet by any means but from what I have seen and heard you need to give the calf nuflor. go see your vet soon and ask him about nuflor and he will more than likely sell it to you n tell you how much n stuff. it works

pdoramus":17jat0bx said:
The calf we bought today was a little raspy today after it drank its milk replacer. Could this be pnuemonia or just stress from the saleyard? Do I need to get an antibiotic?

Both. I would never buy a calf at the salebarn without giving it an antibiotic IMMEDIATELY when getting it home. Stress plays a big part in these type bugs.

If he is raspy very long he will have scar tissue in the lung and may never fully recover.

Ok, an antibiotic won't hurt it, BUt, you mention it is raspy AFTER you bottle feed it......this is common, as it usually means that a small amount of milk has been aspirated into the lungs..............not good, but often does not cause any long term harm.

As for giving antibiotics to everything that enters the farm, I would frown on that :( , if anything, isolate it and make sure that it has all of it's AGE APPROPRIATE vaccinations, colostrum if still within the 12-24 hour birth window, and use antibiotics only when needed.

When it comes to bottle feeding calves, cleanlyness is the key here. Prevent cross contamination.......just consider everything you touch, and everything a calf touches, healthy looking or not, as being potentially contaminated, and don't pass it on to others or you for that matter..

My hands stay somewhat dried out due to all the washing and bleach we use around here.
JMHO :cboy:

Medic24":ibrvi2zr said:
Ok, an antibiotic won't hurt it, BUt, you mention it is raspy AFTER you bottle feed it......this is common, as it usually means that a small amount of milk has been aspirated into the lungs..............not good, but often does not cause any long term harm.

As for giving antibiotics to everything that enters the farm, I would frown on that :( , if anything, isolate it and make sure that it has all of it's AGE APPROPRIATE vaccinations, colostrum if still within the 12-24 hour birth window, and use antibiotics only when needed.

When it comes to bottle feeding calves, cleanlyness is the key here. Prevent cross contamination.......just consider everything you touch, and everything a calf touches, healthy looking or not, as being potentially contaminated, and don't pass it on to others or you for that matter..

My hands stay somewhat dried out due to all the washing and bleach we use around here.
JMHO :cboy:

I fully agree about giving antibiotics willynilly. The one exception we used to make was calves from the sale bran. Those we hit with a does of Nuflor as they came off the trailer. Don;t know if it helpe but it didn;t hurt. We also didn;t have respritory problems crop up afte they'ld been there a few days. Might be like the elephant repellent. Must work cause we've never had an elephant around.

dun

Latest posts