'Rare' Cattle hit by Amtrak

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzie Q":thowjtv8 said:
I would also be adding on travelling to bring new ones to the farm and vaccinations and worming that had already been given to the ones killed.
It's supposedly a closed herd, so there won;t be anything new coming in

dun":1m2ccoh1 said:
Suzie Q":1m2ccoh1 said:
I would also be adding on travelling to bring new ones to the farm and vaccinations and worming that had already been given to the ones killed.
It's supposedly a closed herd, so there won;t be anything new coming in

Ours has been a closed herd as well, but if we lost quite a few at once like that I would buy in to recover the losses.

Had it been a normal frieght train theose Salers would have out run it. But Amtrak really flies. A cop here put his radar gun on an oncoming Amtrak. They were doing 83 mph. And that was in town. I imagine in those wide open space down around K-Falls they were realy pouring it on.

He might not have that much ground to stand on. the rail road tracks and I think 30 feet either side of the track is private property own by the rail road. In my home town the city was throwing a fit about the amount of trains running through town during busy hours. To try to get them to stop police clocked the trains and issue tickets to all that were speeding. Burlington Northern laughed said it was private property and told them if they have a problem with it build over passes. That was three years ago and they run 48 trains a day through, most during rush hour. Usually at lunch time two trains stop and block all but one intersection in town for an hour to have lunch at a wendys thats built right against the tracks.

It doesn't matter that it is private property. This is open range. The railroad is responcible to fence livestock off their property. There have been a couple big cases about this in Oregon over the last couple years as city people move out into the country and expect ranchers to fence their livestock. In every case the ranchers have won.

Dave":3dv3v1f5 said:
It doesn't matter that it is private property. This is open range. The railroad is responcible to fence livestock off their property. There have been a couple big cases about this in Oregon over the last couple years as city people move out into the country and expect ranchers to fence their livestock. In every case the ranchers have won.
Is it ALL open range? In the ca desert their was a mixture of both types. Hard to tell without a precise map which was which

It's a shame they were killed but IMO if they were that rare and worth so much, he should have taken more care in their care, and checked the fences more often. Sorry but I would put the blame on him and charge him for the damage they may have caused, and not pay him a penny, what carnage it could have been if the train was derailed and people were killed. Would it be his negligence then.?

Ok colorado is a free roam state and I dont know how all of it works but based on comments made of free roam the neighbors bull has been loose for a month I have had to run him out of the hay and corn field on almost a daily basis the whole time. So when I run him out of my place if he stumbles or turns back on me and charges the truck or something along those line and gets hit and dies I'm resposible for the bull even though he is trespassing on my property.

sackshowcattle":2y7x6wix said:
Ok colorado is a free roam state and I dont know how all of it works but based on comments made of free roam the neighbors bull has been loose for a month I have had to run him out of the hay and corn field on almost a daily basis the whole time. So when I run him out of my place if he stumbles or turns back on me and charges the truck or something along those line and gets hit and dies I'm resposible for the bull even though he is trespassing on my property.
You got dogs? ;-)

Free roam/open range means you have to fence them out. if you aren;t free roam/open range the owner had to fence them in.

Yes I have dogs three that are down right mean if I dont keep them in check when working. Two that will spin a cow till it falls down they have been working so long together that they take turns hiting the head while the other hits the feet to keep eachother from getting hurt and he don't care I watched him walk through a 5 strand barb wire fence right by the wooden post breaking it off then charged the dogs to try to get them to back off. Finally got him turned with the truck and 4 wheeler got the dogs behind him and ran him around the field till I thought he was going to die from the heat and stress. Thats when he left that night. Next morning right back in the same hay field.

Latest posts