rare breed and favorite

Help Support CattleToday:

Rare breeds are fine for hobbies. But if you are in it make money you better have a market. I went to the local sale barn a couple weeks ago, good steers 600 lbs Angus $.90 Red Angus $.80 Hereford $.60 Hol. $.50 Galloway $.40 and oddballs lucky to get a bid. Anyone who has Galloway or any other rare breed are just playing or they sell freezer beef.

Jovid":o16flgry said:
The Irish Red looks a lot like a Red Poll to me :?: :?:

I have been to the ranch and seen both the reds and the blacks. They are awesome cattle. I personally liked the reds better. Don't know why. I will say one thing the pics on the website don't do the Reds justice.

Hey Doc. Why not try to get the Goulds and Maurice to update the website with some new pictures? These cattle are way too good for what's on there now. Especially the reds.

3waycross":zjii668f said:
Jovid":zjii668f said:

I have been to the ranch and seen both the reds and the blacks. They are awesome cattle. I personally liked the reds better. Don't know why. I will say one thing the pics on the website don't do the Reds justice.

Hey Doc. Why not try to get the Goulds and Maurice to update the website with some new pictures? These cattle are way too good for what's on there now. Especially the reds.
Go back and read my post on this thread. That is what this operation is all about! We ARE building a new web site for them! The current one has TOO much verbosity. The problem is - there is SO much good stuff to say about them that one doesn't know where to start or stop!

DOC HARRIS

rkm-

I told my sons when they were growing up ;-) , "Don't practice CONDEMNATION before INVESTIGATION!"

It was good advice!

Still is!

DOC HARRIS

I'm not condemning anyone and I did investigate. I went to the market and seen good Galloway steers bring less than half of what good Angus steers brought. I'm just saying if you want to try rare breeds you need to have a plan to market them.

Shorthornguy":1x0irvgq said:
8) Thanks for the education Doc. The weaning and yearling weights are impressive. Do they achieve the yearling weight on just grass??
In the majority of cases, yes. I think that a few breeders have fed grain prior to marketing, but I really don't know for sure. I am not that intimately involved with those particulars. Contact Maurice Boney and ask him. He will tell you particulars that are amazing! Ultrasound and Igenity details! :shock:

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":363f2th2 said:
3waycross":363f2th2 said:
Jovid":363f2th2 said:

Go back and read my post on this thread. That is what this operation is all about! We ARE building a new web site for them! The current one has TOO much verbosity. The problem is - there is SO much good stuff to say about them that one doesn't know where to start or stop!

DOC HARRIS

Geez Doc
Don;t bite my head off. I'm on your side.

3waycross":233b7oap said:
DOC HARRIS":233b7oap said:
3waycross":233b7oap said:
Jovid":233b7oap said:

DOC HARRIS

Geez Doc
-Sorry! You're right. I have got to make excuses for myself though. My wife (Ruthie) had ANOTHER surgery on the 19th of this month (snapped the Posterior Tibial Ligement in her left foot, and had to split the one on the other side of that foot to replace it - 6 weeks in a cast and can't stand on it!!) This is the Eighth Major surgery she has had in three and a half years. . . .and I have a hard time boiling water without scorching it! I find myself a little on edge once in awhile. No excuse for rudeness, though.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1crrtsnj said:
3waycross":1crrtsnj said:
DOC HARRIS":1crrtsnj said:
3waycross":1crrtsnj said:
Jovid":1crrtsnj said:

DOC HARRIS

Geez Doc
-Sorry! You're right. I have got to make excuses for myself though. My wife (Ruthie) had ANOTHER surgery on the 19th of this month (snapped the Posterior Tibial Ligement in her left foot, and had to split the one on the other side of that foot to replace it - 6 weeks in a cast and can't stand on it!!) This is the Eighth Major surgery she has had in three and a half years. . . .and I have a hard time boiling water without scorching it! I find myself a little on edge once in awhile. No excuse for rudeness, though.

DOC HARRIS

Just watched my 77 yr old Father nurse my 75 yr old mother thru a knee replacement, no further explanation required.

Latest posts