Rank these hereford bulls.

Help Support CattleToday:

I like 124 best but not the way he's walking around with his ears up and kind of agitated--JMO. Also like 123 and none of the rest, but what do I know :eek:

I like 122 the best and 123 would be my choices. 122 has the best EPDs for weaning calves which would be what I was looking for. Also like the 123 bull. JMO

I like 124 and 152. I would not get to caught up in the ww and yw epds if your goal is to breed Gert x replacements. You are going to get hybrid vigor and plenty of size when breeding to Gerts. But you don't want to try and breed the biggest replacements you can. The new word in replacements is moderation when it comes to size and milk. You want replacements that are moderate, easy doing, and easy fleshing and that breed back. So I would look at more the SC epd and the MM epd along with the BII index epd and any carcass epds you were interested in improving. If it was a size race people would just use straight Gerts. But like the other guy said what do I know.

I like 123 the best, then 120. I agree with tncattle about 124, he looks alarmed and could be high strung. If it weren't for that, 124 would be competing for the top spot. I don't really care much for the other two for what you are trying to accomplish. JMO

OldCrow

Keep the hits coming. Don't forget to tell why you like the one you do. Anybody want to try and guess the winning bid price on the lots?

I would take 124 and 120 as my top picks. They are nice looking bulls. 124 is a little excited in the video which would make 120 my top pick due to that. I would take 123 as third and 122 as fourth as he is heavy on the birth weight compared to the other ones but I don't know herford epds that well so I dont know if its really heavy or not overall in the herford breed. 122 I would consider a terminal sire. I dont like the look of 152. I think he has a somewhat feminine looking front end in my opinion and his rear end is higher than his front end.

Red Bull Breeder":1ws2sm88 said:
124 If the way he is acting is a problem you might not need cattle.

I'm solely basing my opinion off of one video as that is all we have. Before I spent the kind of money these bulls might bring I would visit and have a look myself to make a final determination. I've had bad experiences with a couple of Angus bulls, one broke my Dads ribs and another would confont you in open pasture. I'm not going to buy a bull that I don't think my family could walk through the pastures and not be harrassed or worse. I do understand your comment though I just don't have enough information to feel comfortable buying him without seeing him in person.
I'm not a veteran cattleman just here trying to learn more as this is a great site. :tiphat:

OldCrow

I like 120 the best because he is the deepest, but I like how masculine 124 is, if you could combine both you would have the almost perfect bull.

Latest posts