range meal vs protein tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus":1rypidl7 said:
Which is better when supplementing 300lb calves?
I don't use either but given those choices I'd use the range meal but would look for one 20% or higher in protein and no more than 20% salt and no urea. Also try to find one that contains some corn (some have none)....Should cost you about half what tubs cost per ton and will work just as well.....only thing is that you have to go out and feed it everyday unless you have a creep feeder you can fill up.

I would think the calves could get more from the range meal because of delivery method .. half the price doesn't hurt either.. I mix 16 percent creep and 27% range meal to feed my heifers .. I put it in a creep feeder and they have it free choice..

How do people using creep feeders manage to get more into the cattle then into the skunks/possums/coons/etc.

dun":o280eoqt said:
How do people using creep feeders manage to get more into the cattle then into the skunks/possums/coons/etc.
;-) who knows. Guess that falls under "shrinkage". All I've ever seen around mine were squirrels, birds and turkeys.....at night?? Probably where your buddies show up. :lol:

TexasBred":10w40zxu said:
dun":10w40zxu said:
;-) who knows. Guess that falls under "shrinkage". All I've ever seen around mine were squirrels, birds and turkeys.....at night?? Probably where your buddies show up. :lol:
Squirrels and birds get their share but our cows for some reaons chase anything out of the pasture that isn;t a cow or calf. It's hilarious watching them chase a flock of turkeys that made the mistake of getting within thir view. They don;t even like vultures or crows sitting on the fence posts.

I've trapped several coons around the feeder but there's a man down the road from me that eats them .. I just drop trap and all off and he brings back my trap in the evening ..

I dont use either one... but I would think the range meal would be best. I supplement 14% creep in my creep feeder free range..and watch em grow.

Crazy Farmgirl":3ux5td2i said:
Can someone please explain what "range meal" is, never heard of it. Maybe we just call it something else.
range meal can be made out of 1 or 2 feeds an maybe more that ive forgotten.1 is soybean meal,it has a protine of 30% more or less an cottonseed meal wich is 40% protine or better.mix 2 parts salt to 1 part meal an it can be feed free choice,the salt is a limiter.an you could also add a sack of salt to the 2 1 mix making it 3 1 mix.we feed 150lbs of meal at a time to our cows.if your in a dry climaye you can put out 100lbs in ea feed trough an free choice feed your cows till its gone.

Crazy Farmgirl":1itcnri0 said:
Can someone please explain what "range meal" is, never heard of it. Maybe we just call it something else.
Usually a feed from 14% up to as high as 30% with a high concentration of salt in it to limit intake. Depending on the amount of salt, consumption can vary from 2 to 5 lbs. per head per day. Other ingredient can be corn, cottonseed meal and any of the grain by-products along with vitamins and minerals.

Latest posts