range cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
I know this has been covered in the past somewhere, but I have two 800 pound steers I'm going to winter here in South Georgia. The pasture is still fairly green, but kind of stubbly due to not a whole lot of rain. I want to add some cubes to their diet without burning up their kidneys. I'm looking for an average daily ration recommendation. They get 2 pounds of 16% daily now. Thanks.
Steve

Do you have a slaughter date and weight in mind for them? Are you going for grass fed or do you plan to finish?

The larger, Shrek, goes in to the freezer end of September. The smaller, Donkey, will be mid to late summer next year. Both are Jersey crosses. (My 5 year old grand daughter named them and helped with the bottle feeding) I will finish them, like always, on grass. Great tasting, tender, meat. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Nothing wrong with grass fed. All my cows eat grass. :lol: However, I do finish them off with a little 12% sweet feed. I normally give 1 pound per day per 100 pounds of body weight on the cow.

Makes grass fed even better.

I'm not a wacha call purist by any means. Like I said, I'm feeding a couple of pounds of 16% daily, and will likely increase it. I was just wondering if others were in a similar boat with some fairly tough pastures that need to get eaten down. Oh yeah, we never implant any of our calves.
Steve

Latest posts