Range cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1zbn589a said:
Really need a sharp pencil when supplementing cattle.
You can turn them from red working cattle to blue welfare cattle quick.
There are products out there to hook the cattlemen not the cattle.
Tubs are one of them at 800 to 900 a ton will take the profits out quickly.

There's a lot of blue cattle in the world.

20% cubes aren't really a protein supplement, they're an energy supplement. You have to get closer to 30% before your getting an actual protein supplement that will encourage consumption of low protein forage or hay.

pdfangus":1rv210vw said:
We have a product put up by a local coop called msg....wheat mids, soy hulls and corn gluten mostly....14% protein....
I give heifers about 2 lbs per day with grass.
AI group gets about a lb per head per day for thirty days setup and thru AI breeding.
When they first made it it was pretty inexpensive....now it is about 10.00 per bag...
I feed it in a trough and the fed animals come to call every night.
First I've heard of midds being added to the mix but they are an excellent ingredient. A few companies have been mixing soyhull pellets and pelleted CGF for years and selling it. Works ok and usually very reasonably priced. Never tried it myself.

We use 20% range cubes for any and all of our cattle. Primarily use them for "training", gathering, etc. Also use them to supplement "dead" winter pasture when it's cold to provide extra protein in addition to having round bales of hay out 24/7.
What kind of poundage do you put out per head? Also, is this everyday.

What kind of poundage do you put out per head? Also, is this everyday.
I put out about 2.5 lbs. of 20% every other day this time of year. When it starts getting really cold, I feed daily. We locked in at 285 per ton from 10/1/21 - 4/1/22. Just got 3.59 tons (7180 lbs) for $1023.15.

Latest posts