McPherson Fencing

Reaction score
Well I don't know how to put this, but d*mn Y is it so damn
hard to make a living. I'm self employeed & have been for 2
years, my business is slowing down so bad it's scary. I was
doing real good for awile. Now I'm afraid of losing everything,
I've learned the hard way alcohol doesn't help anything. I just
don't know what to do or say anymore. :oops:

The economy is winding down. I know where Whitney, TX is. I may be wrong, but I don't think Whitney and the surrounding small towns are what one would call "well heeled." Are you willing to go as far as Waco with your fence business, or Cleburne, or even the metroplex?

Also, with all of the Gas Exploration around, could you offer services to them?

I'm so sorry you are going thru this rough spot.

Alice

I'm hearing that more and more

It was hard before- add on high gas(drives everything up) and health costs escalating-- Its getting impossible.

I fear alot of self employed people are going to be biting the dust in the next year or two. Just hoping I'm not one of them-but it ain't looking good :(

It was a tough 47 years. I picked myself up by my bootstraps a few times. There is a long list of "character building" experiences. There were many times I could have cried if it would have done any good.

Now there is the gas wells and royalty heading my way. Easy street is just around the corner. I kind of feel bad about it.

whitney isnt the best place 2 operate as a fence builder. In
fact it's hard to make a livin regardless of line of work. I'm also
a welder & metal barn builder. None of these r payn off. I hate
to but I'm thinkin about expanding my business as far as 150 miles away. It's goin to cost me a fortune, but I really have no choice. I geuss by the grace of god, I'll get some bites. You all have a nice day :(

McPherson Fencing":h56on1po said:
to but I'm thinkin about expanding my business as far as 150 miles away. It's goin to cost me a fortune, but I really have no choice. I geuss by the grace of god, I'll get some bites. You all have a nice day :(

Last I heard, welders that contract to the gas companies are doing very well. Check 'em out...ya' never know.

Alice

McPherson Fencing":s21q263y said:

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

backhoeboogie":p4tmoitt said:
It was a tough 47 years. I picked myself up by my bootstraps a few times. There is a long list of "character building" experiences. There were many times I could have cried if it would have done any good.

Now there is the gas wells and royalty heading my way. Easy street is just around the corner. I kind of feel bad about it.

Oh yeah...throw me in that briar patch...

Alice

Just my opinion...

Livestock fence building is most "lucrative" if you will closer to farm/ranch operations. However, lot of those operators do their own. My "uneducated guess" would be the best chance for business would be for those folks that have smaller spreads (a/k/a weekend "ranchers") that need work done, can't or won't do it themselves, and have some $$ to spare.

In our case, on our 23 acres of intensive management we have probably have 2-3 miles of fences, cross-fencing, pens. At our age and physical status, all of our fencing has been hired out. We didn't have a choice. We've spent more $$ on this than our property cost originally!

There may also be extra business in the "fence repair" segment. I know we've had several repair projects in past 3 years.

If you haven't already, run some advs in the local/area "Shoppers", and in the Thrifty Nickel papers. Put fliers and/or business cards at local/area hardware stores, lumber yards, feed stores, and other places that will let you do it.

Don't give up! Often takes time to develop a presence. Our major fence builder & fence repair crew is about 60 miles from here. They are excellent livestock fence people and do any type of F&R fencing, including welded pipe fencing. Usually can get to us within 1-3 weeks after calling them.

In our experience, "most" of the fence people in our area don't want to mess with fence repairs...even if they can make money on it...go figure...

I don;t know what kind of area you're in, but have you made your presence known to your local USDA NRCS office? There are a lot of programs that do cost share on fencing and other stuff of that sort and if the folks at NRCS now about you there's a chance you might get a referrel or 2. Our office has a list of people that do different kinds of work. When someone asks about having work done insteads of doing it themselves they hand out the list.

dun

Do you install chain link type fence also? How about portable dog kennels? If any oil business in your area they need fences put up around well locations. You might have to consider traveling out of your area.Good luck .

You might also look into Interstate Highway fencing. Whenever they widen an interstate here, the fencing is bid out by the mile to DOT's specs. Had a friend who bid on one of these and did quite well on it.

Well maybe it will help to know someone else here feels your pain. I went through the EXACT same thing. Six months ago, I sold my equiment and got a job in a different industry. I had invested around 75k into my business, made it two years. I was lucky, I sold my equipment for nearly what I had into it. I can honestly say I am very happy not having the worries and stresses involved with being the owner, salesman, book keeper, and laborer in my own business. I go to work, then come home and forget about it until the next day. A guy like you would be working tomorrow at top dollar here in Wyo., and that is not exaggeration. Can't find bodies to fill positions here. Especially welders. Hate to say it, but sounds like you may need to relocate, change of scenery might do you good. Just my opinion. Good luck to you, sir.

Thanks everyone for your advise, etc. Sure is a bunch
of freindly folks here. I'm gonna try and hang in there, but
i have a uncle that was tellin welder's in west texas name
their price , so if it get's real bad I might go to the desert
and gitter done I'm sure I could make a pretty good living but
I'll play it by ear. You all take it easy, n have a nice day.

McPherson Fencing":xmvznzeq said:
Thanks everyone for your advise, etc. Sure is a bunch
of freindly folks here. I'm gonna try and hang in there, but
i have a uncle that was tellin welder's in west texas name
their price , so if it get's real bad I might go to the desert
and gitter done I'm sure I could make a pretty good living but
I'll play it by ear. You all take it easy, n have a nice day.

West Texas? shucks, just drive north 40 miles. I know welders that made over a quarter million last year. They are sick of being under the hood and of the phone ringing. They could work 16/7 on these pipe lines going in and on the rigs. If you just want to weld, get in touch with the gas companies. I thought you were looking for fence contracts.

Jogeephus":2mzj0eck said:
You might also look into Interstate Highway fencing. Whenever they widen an interstate here, the fencing is bid out by the mile to DOT's specs. Had a friend who bid on one of these and did quite well on it.

Yeah good money in em, buuuut with the state, it takes money to make money. I know we do lots of LaDOT projects and on a say $75,000 project, we have $30K invested before we see penny one. They ain't going anywhere and their heels are to the fire, but they control the heat of the flame! Took eating beanie weanies for the first few jobs to have money for the next.

Also put your name in with the Real Estate agents in your area, they might can get your name to people buying land and needing fencing, corrals, ect........

Latest posts