Random Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Between a greyhound bus and a truck I'd never seen before, I put a little less than 2500 miles on my butt in 3 1/2 days last week. Went thru 9 states, some twice. Met some really fine folks and saw some beautiful country. Had some time to do some thinking, here's some of my thoughts if anyone cares to read them:

1. Nashville has more druggies than singers.

2. Kansas is flat, really flat. Kansas City is really proud of its barbecue. Good stuff, by the way.

3. Missouri has a lot of cows. Beautiful land and very hospitable folks, too. Must be an awful lot of gentlemen there, seems they have a club at every exit. 8)

4. Indiana/Illinois/Ohio - corn, corn, and more corn. Where's the cows?

5. Virginia - The most uptight state. Went thru 2 radar traps from KS to VA, then thru 3 in 15 miles in VA.

6. West Virginia - Worst roads in the country. If someone finds a kidney somewhere around Charleston on I64, please forward it to Virginia. I've come to the conclusion the best thing to do with WV is dynamite the whole state, doze it off and start from scratch.

7. If there is any alternative, I strongly suggest you do not "Go Greyhound".

cfpinz

Those are really profound thoughts...and I'm being sincere here. :)

I especially like thought #3 :lol2: and most definitely thought #7. :nod:

Alice

Just returned from a long trip of my own and I have to respectfully disagree with you....Iowa has the worst roads in the whole country. Absolutely did not find one road there besides the interstate that was passable.

Green Creek":198vfpyv said:
Just returned from a long trip of my own and I have to respectfully disagree with you....Iowa has the worst roads in the whole country. Absolutely did not find one road there besides the interstate that was passable.

Ever been to WV? I wouldn't consider the interstates passable, that is unless you have a Lincoln Town Car with air-ride suspension.

cfpinz

I also just returned from a long trip and I would have to disagree with you both. Alaska has the worst roads! Most where we were are abandoned logging roads with only a small percentage of these roads being paved. Absolutely beautiful country though!

Green Creek":24jbf3ag said:
I just came back from iowa, a girlfriend and I took a road trip to sullivans and that was the longest trip,but we took I80 not to bad, i thought when I lived in nebraska that those roads were pretty bad

Sorry. I have to disagree. Arkansas. On I-30 all the way through the state. Just you and the wall of death and a semi in from and in back. Unless it has changed in the last few years, that has been my driving experience for every trip I have made through there in the last 20 years.

In regards to #6. Recently our Highway Dept. Let a few thousand employees go and now everyone is working overtime! Our business minded governer, :lol: :lol: , is "solving our problems" :lol: :lol: very loud. Born and raised here, tell me about the roads!!

cfpinz":1ve5c0g5 said:

cfpinz

You must have got into a bad section of town. I could have been your tourguide. That's what you get for letting TurnMawLoose drive. :lol2:

cfpinz":31eo96t3 said:
5. Virginia - The most uptight state. Went thru 2 radar traps from KS to VA, then thru 3 in 15 miles in VA.

cfpinz

Heard on the radio there was 5,000 traffic violations during the weekend. My son got a ticket for doing 58 in a 55 :roll: . Probably seen around 40 troopers over the weekend, So i'd surely agree with #5

cfpinz,

Crowder is right, if you were at the Greyhound station that seems to be the area where the street people hang out and it is reputed that some of them drink and use drugs. Believe it or not!

Cuz

Now I would pay to see someone have a baby in one of those cramped up buses! I took a thirty plus hour ride in one and I'll walk next time. They stop every five minutes and you never know who's gonna plop down beside you.

cfpinz":1936i1iv said:
4. Indiana/Illinois/Ohio - corn, corn, and more corn. Where's the cows?

With ground selling as high as $6800 an acre here, it would take some pretty fancy pencil tricks to make cattle pay off. Several ethanol plants in the planning stages will only push it higher. Land I turned down at $1600 7 or 8 years ago has people fighting for it at $2800 now.

Beefy":2cyulq6h said:
Didn't Sarah Evans have a baby in the backseat of a Greyhound bus?

I didn't see anything that looked half as good as Sarah Evans on my bus!

cfpinz

Crowderfarms":19e09ht1 said:
cfpinz":19e09ht1 said:

cfpinz

You must have got into a bad section of town. I could have been your tourguide. That's what you get for letting TurnMawLoose drive. :lol2:

I think somebody TurnedMawLoose in downtown.

People's Stockyard close to you? Couldn't get the driver to stop.

cfpinz