Random Thought

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I was driving home from work today and was going past some grain bins when I had a random thought:
It's well known that you're not supposed to go into a grain bin when grain is flowing because it acts just like quicksand and will suck you down. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to wear snowshoes when on top of moving grain. It should keep a person from sinking shouldn't it. Please keep all criticism constructive and in good humor! :lol:

I'd be willing to bet your life on it that it would work. ;-) :lol2: Just kidding. Probably might work but it reminds me of the old saying about curiousity killing the cat.

There was a fella in Manitoba early this year that was taking the crust off the top of his grain in the bin and he fell in and sank to the bottom. Son called the cops and they figured to empty out the bin and found him. That has gotta be tough :( .

Jogeephus":6js6dojm said:
I'd be willing to bet your life on it that it would work. ;-) :lol2: Just kidding. Probably might work but it reminds me of the old saying about curiousity killing the cat.

Arent you the guy that tried to fly with the umbrella like Mary Poppins? Good thing it doesn't snow in Georgia. You might have tried that, too.

A lot of people have lost their lives like this and this should be a serious topic, what happens is it builds a crust on the top layer and then sucks out a void from underneath the crust ,when you set on it , it's like stepping on thin ice you are a goner not a laughing matter.

Lammie":204e5seb said:
Jogeephus":204e5seb said:

Arent you the guy that tried to fly with the umbrella like Mary Poppins? Good thing it doesn't snow in Georgia. You might have tried that, too.

:lol2: :lol2: Yep, but Mary P made it look so easy. Besides, she did it first. :nod:

Its comments like this that have kept me quite about the time my brother and I went to the army/navy store and took all our coke bottle money and bought a real parachute.

twistedxranch":202v3svq said:
ArrowHBrand":202v3svq said:
I was driving home from work today and was going past some grain bins when I had a random thought:
It's well known that you're not supposed to go into a grain bin when grain is flowing because it acts just like quicksand and will suck you down. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to wear snowshoes when on top of moving grain. It should keep a person from sinking shouldn't it. Please keep all criticism constructive and in good humor! :lol:

Well you know how things like this go it has to be tested. Why not put the snow shoes on and test out your theory. After all this is what scientist do right? Or better yet hire some dumb schmuck that you dislike of course to do it for you.

No way dude, getting inside a full grain bin isn't my cup of tea and I don't condone that type of behavior. Don't tell me you've never had a thought that was waaaaaay out there, come on, we all have.

Jogeephus":3bfgugy1 said:
Lammie":3bfgugy1 said:
Jogeephus":3bfgugy1 said:

:lol2: :lol2: Yep, but Mary P made it look so easy. Besides, she did it first. :nod:

Its comments like this that have kept me quite about the time my brother and I went to the army/navy store and took all our coke bottle money and bought a real parachute.

Love your avatar pic, blue heeler pup? Love blue heelers, have two myself.
A parachute from a surplus store? Sounds like a good time to me! :lol2:

It was fantastic until I landed and my knees almost went through my face. I've learned since that a parachute doesn't work at low altitude but at the time it seemed like a very good plan. :oops: :lol2:

Interesting thought. Take a Farm Medic course, grain bins are no laughing matter nor is a lot of other stuff we deal with.

Yeah I think of some really out of the way things, but thinking and doing are 2 different things.