Random Question

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
In another post a statement was made, that called two 8 year old heifers cows. I'm sure no one on here has heifers that are 8 years old, but it has got me wondering what they should be called. Obviously since they haven't calved they would technically be heifers, but at 8 years old what would you guys call them?

Personally I'd call them hay burners, but I'm looking for cow or Heifer as an answer.

I think that I would call them cows.

I know in the horse world, a female horse is a FILLY until she has a colt or is 4 years old, whichever happens first. Don't remember where I learned that, but it was a looooong time ago.

randiliana":1cfiiper said:

I know in the horse world, a female horse is a FILLY until she has a colt or is 4 years old, whichever happens first. Don't remember where I learned that, but it was a looooong time ago.
That's what made curious.

FarmGirl10":2j2hwa1r said:
In another post a statement was made, that called two 8 year old heifers cows. I'm sure no one on here has heifers that are 8 years old, but it has got me wondering what they should be called. Obviously since they haven't calved they would technically be heifers, but at 8 years old what would you guys call them?

Personally I'd call them hay burners, but I'm looking for cow or Heifer as an answer.

I'd call them hamburger, but I digress. Since the term heifer is a term that generally refers to age, I believe it is impossible for any female bovine to be called a heifer once she has reached the age(depending on your area) of 2-3 years of age. They are cows regardless of whether they have calved or not.

If it hasn't calved, it's still a heifer. Nevermind that though. What do you call the person who keeps such a thing? :cowboy:

randiliana":rgidm39r said:

What if she has a filly rather then a colt?

I'd call them heifers, purely because till coming to these boards I'd never heard any definition other than 'heifer till second calf, cow thereafter'. There's no reference to age.

For practical purposes, milking heifers are usually rolled in with the MA (mixed age) cows in a mixed group.

What do you all call a maiden heifer? My stock agent calls in-calf rising 3 yr heifers (that have never calved before) maidens. I reckoned that was impossible, but that's how it's termed in this country.

I guess you can call anything a maiden. Afterall, a race horse until it wins is a maiden, doesn;t matter if it's a colt, mare, filly or gelding.

Merriam-Webster
Main Entry: heif·er
Pronunciation: \ˈhe-fər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English hayfare, from Old English hēahfore
Date: before 12th century
: a young cow ; especially : one that has not had a calf

What a terrible, ambiguous and wrong defintion. A young female bovine maybe, but certainly not a cow.

With a quick internet search, I can't find a good clear defintion. Personally, I say they're heifers until they calve.

a heifer to me is anything under 2yrs.anything about that is a cow weather its had a calf or not.

FarmGirl, I've noticed a lot of cow folks throw the term "heifer" around loosely...it often has nothing whatsoever to do wtih age or number of calves she's had.....sometimes means nothing more than "female" as apposed to "male".

A few years ago we had a guy inquire about buying some 'heifords', we didn't know if he wanted 'heifers' or 'herefords'. We had both, but didn't make a sale. Just as well, he was happy with his $300 bull from the salebarn!

Etymology: Middle English hayfare

Hayfare means using up hay; which seems accurate. I always wondered about this word heifer until now.

grannysoo":27rflg45 said:
If she were human, I think that she would be called an "old maid".

Bite your tongue !!!!!! :help:

I guess if she was 8 years old and never exposed to a bull she would be called an old maid or a "????"... :lol2: :p

hillsdown":2djeyhic said:
grannysoo":2djeyhic said:
If she were human, I think that she would be called an "old maid".

Bite your tongue !!!!!! :help:

I guess if she was 8 years old and never exposed to a bull she would be called an old maid or a "????"... :lol2: :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope I'm not considered an "old maid" or a "????"

I'd call her a heifer until she calves. I've never seen an eight year old, but a friend had one that calved for the first time at six years old. Her momma was a pet, so when the family moved and couldn't keep her, they took the pair to "grandpa." He kept them on his place, seperate from the bull, for years. Finally when dad retired and they got moved back to the country, they put a bull on both animals. The old momma cow raised a calf almost every year until she died at about 12 years old. That "heifer" raised one, miscarried another and had a little mummified something before they finally sold her.

Latest posts