Random Question - 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
I have heard from some places that there are cattle that get placed lower due to brands. Is this a serious issue?

Since we get our calves out of our family herd, they are branded just like the rest of them.

karlie45

Reaction score
I've seen it happen in showmanship. It wasnt anounced over the microphone or anything. I was standing right next to the girl,and the judge told her that it wasn't very showy.

I know that I have never heard a judge comment that that would be the reason that heifer A placed below heifer B, but you never know what goes on in a judges mind...
Personally, I think that it would be wrong for a judge to make a decision based on if the heifer is branded or not. In showmanship or regular judging. It's that person's way of identification. But thats me, and I am by no means a judge.

We dont get very many people that brand around here- I can only think of the one locally, and one more at state fair. (but then again, I dont really look for it either)

Ryan

Reaction score
i have never seen it be an issue. however, the only time i could think of it being an issue might be a steer or market heifer class. and the judge might say that the brand will negatively affect the beef where the animal was branded.

Colorado2008

Reaction score
I do not find it very appealing. In fact, I usually look over the branded cattle, unless it is a freeze brand. Using a hot iron in most cases ruins the hair in that area and it never looks good.

TheBullLady

Reaction score
...unless it's a Brahman or Brahman influenced calf. Brahmans are required by the ABBA to be hot branded. STUPID, but unfortunate.

Matt Schiel

Reaction score
It is not that they have a brand, it happens to be the wrong brand. That has happened for as long as I can remember and that is why you will pay more for a certian "brand" name than other heifers or bulls of the same quality.

Matt

JDI

Reaction score
I personally quit branding anything of mine that is going into a show ring. There is a lot of politics in this & from my experience if the judge DOESN'T know where the calf is from it he can't place one over the other by a brand. It does get done quite a bit by judges. You got to be in the click to get ahead!!! JMO

Latest posts