Random Pics.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I said I would post some pics of these guys. There are around 500 of them on 5 quarters of land they are raised by pounds of gain. Last years group cost $11,000.00 a quarter ,the group this year will not as the drought has really had an impact on them, this is really good land ususally, but is in very poor shape as is all the land here this year.

These boys are a mix group as you can tell, and all GV sired. I would love to have a look at the cows they are out of. I wanted to show you the bulls that have been pulled and thrown in with these guys but when I went out with the camera one was way in the disatnce and I couldn't find the others. Now they are moved to another area (mob grazing) so maybe if they come around for another pass I can get a pick of them.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

nice group of steers. I see a little Simme influence in there!
So, do I understand it right. This is YOUR 5 quarters of land, and the owner of the steers is paying you by the pound of gain?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2up34aku said:
So, do I understand it right. This is YOUR 5 quarters of land, and the owner of the steers is paying you by the pound of gain?

Think she said they are ALL Gelbvieh sired.

I wish Jeanne, we would love to buy this land as the quarters border our land, but he is not ready to sell yet. It is hard to get people to sell, we are the anomalies around here as everyone else except another neighbor have been here for a hundred years and their families could make up their own little villages. So I guess we are lucky how the community has welcomed us into their family. One of our neighbors (the dairy farmers) always refer to my family as their adopted family. Which is supposed to be a compliment as we were actually chosen, not just born in. :lol:

Yep 3way the owner of the cows runs all GV bulls on his cows he has a couple blacks but mostly reds. They are handling the drought really well, just like my cow calf pairs and replacment heifers are as well.

The cows are a mix made up of most all breeds, herfs, chars, simmis, Gv's and red and black angus. I think he may even have some shorthorns and anjou in there as well. The group last year did amazing ,but we had an awesome crop year as well. $11,000.00 a quarter is not bad especially since you don't have to do anything, I think the only thing the owner of the land does is provide the truck and water tanks on it, he put in a huge water well last year so you would just have to fill the tanks and move them to where the cows are. We even did the fencing this year on another bordering quarter on his fence and replaced wire and posts as he was no where to be found when the steers were moved in. Oh well I would rather know that my group was where they were supposed to be.

What do you think of the fence ?
It is ours it is 4 strand barb wire with one stand high tensile electric and to top strands of smooth tensile. No one goes in or out. :lol2:

3waycross":2ry1z687 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ry1z687 said:

Think she said they are ALL Gelbvieh sired.
Yes, I understood that - was just meaning that some of the dams must have some Simmie influence. Can't mistake those spotted cream colored cattle. :D

thats a fine looking set of steers.looks like they are doing good in the drought.your right its hard to fitt in where families have owned the land for over 100yrs.thats the way it is here.all my kinfolks have family land thats been in the family well over 100yrs.had people ask if we would sell some land.an we always tell them no the land will never be for sale.we are going to have the 7th geneation on the farm born in oct.

hillsdown":1y6rhk9s said:
I said I would post some pics of these guys. There are around 500 of them on 5 quarters of land they are raised by pounds of gain. Last years group cost $11,000.00 a quarter ,the group this year will not as the drought has really had an impact on them, this is really good land ususally, but is in very poor shape as is all the land here this year.

These boys are a mix group as you can tell, and all GV sired. I would love to have a look at the cows they are out of. I wanted to show you the bulls that have been pulled and thrown in with these guys but when I went out with the camera one was way in the disatnce and I couldn't find the others. Now they are moved to another area (mob grazing) so maybe if they come around for another pass I can get a pick of them.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Those steers look like the kind of stock we'd have here at home.

Ahh these sure bring back quite the memories...thanks HD for posting them. :)

Well you have lot's to be proud of BB we would love to be here for a hundred years but with no kids I don't know how that will happen . Maybe the nieces and nephews will take an interest, but when it is our time to pack it in we will more than likely just rent or sell to our wonderful neighbors kids and grand kids.

IluvABbeef I am sure it is much different around your place now a days but soon you can take over and continue your dads legacy. Some of my boys have headed your way over the years.

Rustler we have been declared a disaster area ,our crops are 75-80% less than average. To give you an idea the hay field that was reseeded 2 years ago gave us almost 150 bales last year, this year we got 34 and hayed 3 weeks later. The lease land we got 299 off of last year and 46 this year (lost some acres to that bad wind storm, it just blew the swaths away).
We still have the green field, which thankfully we are gradually reseeding our hay land each year, so that will help us out because if we had not worked and reseeded it we would have got nothing from it. We have been getting rain lately so that will help the pastures. Drought is horrible but so is flooding. I always feel for people when they have to go through it as well.
As I work things out on paper I will still need to buy about 100 bales to tie me over even if I reduce my herd by 60% and calving in Jan presents a problem as straw is going to be hard to get .My order is ,in but dairy farmers get first serve and beef gets what ,if any is left.

Went to check the cows last night and the fella that moves the herd missed one. There was a very sad looking tan steer all by himself in the field I had taken the pics, they have been move 3 more times since. So I called him up and to let him know that he has a rogue steer he needs to rescue as there is no water there for him. I guess it's hard to do a head count with that many head.. :lol2:

Latest posts