Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
DSCN0693.JPG

Some steers at feeding time .

DSCN0690_001.JPG

Calf barn being set up for next group .

DSCN0691.JPG

Pic showing how we set up the pens using wire panels and plastic ties .

DSCN0694.JPG

The boys .

Larry

Great pics Larry. That is quite the set up, wow..... :clap:

I like the way the calf area is set up with tons of ventilation..I hope you don't find this question rude, but how many calves can you facilitate at one time ?

Thanks for posting them :D .

Are they Holstien steers.Here in Tn. they are will only bring about .50 cents a pound.
There is no way we can raise them for that.I hope you can get more than that out of them.

Mat Man":2kslzbt6 said:
Are they Holstien steers.Here in Tn. they are will only bring about .50 cents a pound.
There is no way we can raise them for that.I hope you can get more than that out of them.

They have to be contracted well in advance . You're right, you can't sell holstein steers in the cash market and make anything . The cattle we're selling now are contracted at 95.60, we paid $65 each for the calves . 1300lbsX 95.60= $1243, $1243-$65= $1178 . That leaves us 1178 dollars to feed him .

Larry

How many batches of calves do you raise per year? Do they all come from the same source? How do you sterilise the barn inbetween batches?

I've done the same thing on a much smaller scale when I just started with cattle, i've just prefered the dairy x beef calves over the straight holsteins and the difference in buying price wasn't that much.

I've contemplated raising dairy heifers or day old ostrich chicks on a contract basis, the heifers are offcourse much lower risk, but also much lower return, but I'd much rather mess with something who's brain isn't at all times half the size of its eye.

very nice set up. Looks like you have put aot of thought into it. I'm interested in the dogs. The blonde one, what breed is he/she? Good cattle dog?

KNERSIE":9d466yxo said:
How many batches of calves do you raise per year?
Last year we started 3 groups of 120, the most we've started was 800 1 year.

Do they all come from the same source?
No, they come from calf dealers, most of the time from several different states .

How do you sterilise the barn inbetween batches?
We pressure wash everything as clean as we can, then spray everything down with Virkon S and let it dry .

I've done the same thing on a much smaller scale when I just started with cattle, i've just prefered the dairy x beef calves over the straight holsteins and the difference in buying price wasn't that much.

I've contemplated raising dairy heifers or day old ostrich chicks on a contract basis, the heifers are offcourse much lower risk, but also much lower return, but I'd much rather mess with something who's brain isn't at all times half the size of its eye.

Larry

rockridgecattle":11d16l9t said:
very nice set up. Looks like you have put aot of thought into it. I'm interested in the dogs. The blonde one, what breed is he/she? Good cattle dog?
RR, he is a golden retreiver crossed with a border collie, and, no they are not good cattle dogs .They give me a lot of moral support though :D .

Larry

kenny thomas":3uy89nnd said:
I now see why you have such good advice on calfhood sickness.
Good looking facilities.

Thanks Kenny, I got one of my daughters old cameras and she showed me how to use it somewhat and after all this time I finally figured out how to post a picture, so I hope to post more in the future .

Larry

You have a really nice set up. Is that a hoop barn (the empty one)? It sure looks like one, those are really nice for raising cattle or any other livestock. It seems that you always have a lot less sickness in them, plus there are typically no taxes on them. :D

FarmGirl10":23f02k1m said:
Random question, do you implant your steers?
Yes, FarmGirl I do implant steers and that is a hoop building . Oddly with all the wind we've had it is the only building in the farm that has not been damaged by wind .

Larry

iowafarmer":3r2frp7y said:
I'm curiouse about the first picture becasuein it looks to be some type of automatic feeder and i was wondering how it works.

It is a Patz belt feeder, it's been in operation since 1986 with very little trouble . The feed travels down the belt and that angled piece wipes it off .

Larry

larryshoat":1ixczlgq said:
Yes, FarmGirl I do implant steers and that is a hoop building . Oddly with all the wind we've had it is the only building in the farm that has not been damaged by wind .

Larry
Thats weird, ours don't have any damage either, i still can't figure that out.

Larry,
How long do you leave the calves in this building?
I am not sure I understand, do you keep these steers until it is time for them to be slaughtered?
If that is what you do how long do you keep them? I have had the same 2 boys almost a year and like the other person said in TN and KY the market for feed lots would be very little.

FarmGirl10":zm78k51j said:
larryshoat":zm78k51j said:

Larry
Thats weird, ours don't have any damage either, i still can't figure that out.

The only thing I can figure is that the wind kind of slips around it .

Larry

Latest posts