Randall Lineback

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
Any ya'll have Randall Linebacks? Please include pictures.

I read an article on them years ago, very interesting story of an old line of cattle that were a whisker away from going extinct. Sounded like they were a good low input dairy or maybe dual purpose breed. Never seen one in person.

I read an article on them years ago, very interesting story of an old line of cattle that were a whisker away from going extinct. Sounded like they were a good low input dairy or maybe dual purpose breed. Never seen one in person.

I believe there is one maybe 8 miles from us. I did a little research on them seem like an all purpose breed. This one is beautiful younger.

One dairy that I test has several and uses lineback bulls in their breeding program. They are meatier and heavier and still seem to milk pretty good. Pretty to look at and seem to be even dispositioned. Don't see any advantages to the crosses with holstein though...they don't get the "good stuff" from each breed and often don't seem to milk that good...just like jersey/holstein crosses... mostly don't milk that much better, and the udders seem to suffer in greater proportion... lose center ligament support and have "basketball" udders after a few lactations....get the worst of both sides in disposition most times too... cull cows don't sell as well as they have the jersey look more than the holstein....

Last edited: