Ranching community Defined...

Help Support CattleToday:

mtskylark

Reaction score
As a member of a ranching community in Montana, I have certain beliefs of how things are to be done, how your work reflects how you interact and treat others, and that people rely on one another to make it year after year. Its a strong community with strong bonds and a family atmosphere. With that being said, I need a others'' point of view on, How would you define the ranching community?

I will use this information in the ethnography project I'm doing at Penn State. If you choose to remain anonymous, please let me know.

Thanks!

God,family,country, guns take care of the widows and elderly. Help your neighbor without expecting anything in return.
Ultra conservative values and beliefs.

Caustic Burno":27ut3mlo said:
God,family,country, guns take care of the widows and elderly. Help your neighbor without expecting anything in return.
Ultra conservative values and beliefs.
+1

Being honorable, respect elders and your mother most of all!! A hand shake still means something here. Help is always just a call away even if you're behind with your own chores.

In my area of Minnesota those making a living with beef cattle mostly identify as being farmers not ranchers.
Perhaps it's their strong but humble Skandinavian roots, but privately the term rancher is viewed as being pretentious
if and when it is used by farmers East of the Dakotas and North of Missouri.

Son of Butch":a0xpzv4o said:
In my area of Minnesota those making a living with beef cattle mostly identify as being farmers not ranchers.
Perhaps it's their strong but humble Skandinavian roots, but privately the term rancher is viewed as being pretentious
if and when it is used by farmers East of the Dakotas and North of Missouri.

Same here. Farming community is (to me) a group of people who pride themselves on being independent and resourceful, but willing to help others. Somewhat paradoxically, in our harsh environment, despite our best efforts to be self-sufficient, there are times we must rely on each other--at times for our animals' survival, and at times for our own. So, humility is also required! We are of various political and religious stripes (including everything from very religious to nonreligious) but place great pride in our land and our work. And yes, there are a (very) few scalawags and scoundrels, as I learned right off the bat. Not every farmer is salt-of-the-earth.

RanchMan90":1z7ieavm said:
Those that make an honest living at it. Doing whatever it takes to support their lifestyle and family without outside income.

Does that include all welfare from the government that ranchers call subsidies.

Caustic Burno":1j8ognp4 said:
Are you referring to federal milk marketing orders basing milk prices on distance from Eau Claire Wisconsin?
Paying Texas milk producers more for their milk than Iowa milk producers ect.

Don't you have it reversed? That ranchers call government subsidies welfare?

Caustic Burno":2tcx2baz said:
RanchMan90":2tcx2baz said:
Those that make an honest living at it. Doing whatever it takes to support their lifestyle and family without outside income.

Guess I'm confused about what you are questioning about RanchMan's definition of a rancher.
Are you saying accepting a premium price on a product honestly produced is dishonest because congress voted to
subsidise it?
In example:
Is it dishonest to sell corn at a premium price to an ethanol plant because the government voted to subsidise the ethanol industry?

I think that the reason subsidies are necessary to balance commodity income , is that there are too many hobby farmers that keep producing cattle and crops no matter how much money they lose, causing commodities to be available on the market for prices under the actual cost of production, but also on the other hand these hobby farmers help support the price of used equipment and brood stock(tricky ain't it!).

Son of Butch":11jwp7rk said:
Caustic Burno":11jwp7rk said:
RanchMan90":11jwp7rk said:

Guess I'm confused about what you are questioning about RanchMan's definition of a rancher.
Are you saying accepting a premium price on a product honestly produced is dishonest because congress voted to
subsidise it?
In example:
Is it dishonest to sell corn at a premium price to an ethanol plant because the government voted to subsidise the ethanol industry?

Yes, ethanol is a scam some greennie thought up to ruin all our engines. I'm against people wanting or getting anything from the government. Oh it's nice that they'll buy you a cow or two, concrete water pads, tanks, wells, fence, barns, ect.
A farmer receiving money from the government is welfare. Just a bunch of leaches that pat one another on the back in church. If you can't make it farming without the government's help do something else.

Turkeybird":3d8mup8n said:
I think that the reason subsidies are necessary to balance commodity income , is that there are too many hobby farmers that keep producing cattle and crops no matter how much money they lose, causing commodities to be available on the market for prices under the actual cost of production, but also on the other hand these hobby farmers help support the price of used equipment and brood stock(tricky ain't it!).
Bs ........ ..the small producer far outnumbers the large producer and a vast majority do not rely on welfare to survive that's why they have outside income because they don't rely on taxpayers to fund them.

Caustic Burno":3k9eh4pl said:
RanchMan90":3k9eh4pl said:

I reckon it does. The drought relief program really helped a lot of ranch families in my area. $120 per head of broodstock per year the last 4 years. I don't keep enough broodstock around to make a claim. I suppose I am just a pilgrim since I have an off farm job also :lol2:

True Grit Farms":3l0ayykh said:
Son of Butch":3l0ayykh said:
Caustic Burno":3l0ayykh said:
subsidise it?
In example:

Yes, ethanol is a scam some greennie thought up to ruin all our engines.
Then I guess I am guilty and sinfully dishonest because I do admit to delivering corn to an ethanol plant just because my
greed got the better of me and sold it to them because they paid me more than the elevator buying corn for cattle feed.

How could you guys have let this happen to me?

Am I also guilty of participating in a welfare program by putting gas containing ethanol in my car?

Son of Butch":1gw41q6q said:
True Grit Farms":1gw41q6q said:
Son of Butch":1gw41q6q said:
subsidise it?
In example:

Yes, ethanol is a scam some greennie thought up to ruin all our engines.
Then I guess I am guilty and sinfully dishonest because I do admit to delivering corn to an ethanol plant just because my
greed got the better of me and sold it to them because they paid me more than the elevator buying corn for cattle feed.

How could you guys have let this happen to me?

Am I also guilty of participating in a welfare program by putting gas containing ethanol in my car?

Nobody let it happen, you did it yourself. MN has went to the left side more than once. The reason you got paid more for your corn is because of subsidized tax dollars. Same crap as wind and solar just a different name, ethanol. And no I don't blame you for selling your corn to the highest bidder, that's good business. It's called government dependence, I kind of like being independent of government myself.

Farm community is pulling a cattle trailer for 2 years before the boss tells you it's not his....it belongs to his grandson. Going to borrow your son in laws pasture sprayer and he can't remember who he loaned it to a couple of years ago but will try to find It for you. Finding a bushel of tomatoes on the porch just because you helped a neighbor jump start a tractor that a few weeks before. Leaving a gift card in the front door of a farmer friend anonymously "just for the he// of it".

For the most part, if farmers couldn't buy (subsidized) crop insurance, they wouldn't farm PERIOD. Think about it like running a business. What business would have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment (Tractors, plows, etc.)and spend tens of thousands on seed, fertilizer, fuel, repairs etc. and not insure it??? You would be a damn fool not to. Farming and ranching is too risky of an endeavor for private insurance, therefore the govt. has to step in and subsidize it. Also most farmers or ranchers couldn't get a loan without having insurance to back the loan up, the bank isn't going to lend money on something as risky as agriculture and not have some type of protection.

I'm just as conservative as any of you and I dislike the govt. very much but this is one area that the govt. is somewhat useful. Crop Insurance actually allows the small guy to stay in business. Think about it this way, If there were no subsidized agricultural insurance, the small guy who needs a loan or cant stand the loss of years of drought or poor harvest is out of business and agriculture as we know it would all become corporate. Yes there would still be hobby farms but farming as we know it would look a lot different.

Latest posts