Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
My question has to do with Big Ranches out west and winter feeding. Alright lets use King Ranch and the Pitchfork Ranch, for example. I know they have cowboys who mostly just work on horseback ,and they work the cattle, brand,doctor etc. but on these giant ranches , do they have an outfit that works on tractors and works in hay? Or do they not need hay out west?

When I was in college in Kingsville, I worked in the oil field on the King Ranch for 3 years. On any given day, we would be all over that thing. We even got lost on a few occasions.

As far as your question, I do remember that John Deere would bring in prototype tractors (under covers for security) on the ranch to put through there paces. I guess they didn't want the competition to see what they were working on. They would work large pastures in desolated areas, but I think it was more shredding, root plowing and discing. I don't remember ever seeing "hay pastures". The only place I saw cattle feeding on hay was at the pens that are located on the tourist drive near the main house. They always had a few steers and cows for the "snow birds" to look at.

Secondly, I remember the ranch had there own feed mill in Kingsville.

Yes they have their own feedyard. They lease most all of the farmng to outside people. The King Ranch also ownes the John Deere dealership in Robstown so they get new tractors every year and then sell them at the dealership.

CopeMan":3hwtvfxs said:
My question has to do with Big Ranches out west and winter feeding. Alright lets use King Ranch and the Pitchfork Ranch, for example. I know they have cowboys who mostly just work on horseback ,and they work the cattle, brand,doctor etc. but on these giant ranches , do they have an outfit that works on tractors and works in hay? Or do they not need hay out west?

Some of the large ranches out here have not only cowboys- but a farm crew that do the haying and feeding-a shop and mechanic to keep equipment running- some even have a veterinarian working for them. Many have several trucks and have expanded into the trucking business- More and more are going to having their own feedlots.
Except for patch work- most contract out most major fencing or construction work.