Rancher Value

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
A quote from the McNameeAngus sale catalog:

EN (energy) and W (weaning) value

Most of you know I have never been a number cruncher when it comes to EPDs. I still believe more in what my eye tells me and what the pedigree says then what a computer tells me. Having said that, I've been following the EN (energy) value and the W (Weaning) value that the AmericanAngus Association is now using and defines as the following:

Cow energy value ($EN), expressed in dollars savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy reqirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of a sire. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the Cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in cow size.

Weaned calf value ($W), an index value expressed in dollars per head, is the expected average difference in future progeny performance for pre-weaning merit. $W includes both revenue and cost adjustments associated with differences in birth weight, weaning direct growth, maternal milk and mature cow size.

Both are significant values for a cow-calf producer. There should be a rancher value that combines the two ($EN & $W). This year we have added all $EN and $W values to our reference sires and sale bulls.

I couldn't agree more with him- and lately these are the major EPDs I look at- altho many sales catalogs don't list them at all (possibly because most don't like publishing the high negative $EN )..Deboos do advertise and list combined ($EN and $W) values- and maybe that is a good name for it - rancher value... About the only sales I'll even take a real interest in anymore are those listing them..

Don't see anything different here. McNameeAngus is emphasizing the EPDs that make their herd/program look good. Other people's programs emphasize different EPDs that make their program look good. The Angus Sire Summary or an Angus pedigree search online will give you full EPDs of any animal that has them. I do have to laugh, though, at people who normally dismiss EPDs as important, then suddenly find one or two that they like. Makes me think....hmmmmm. :roll:

Frankie":1wofluqf said:
Don't see anything different here. McNameeAngus is emphasizing the EPDs that make their herd/program look good. Other people's programs emphasize different EPDs that make their program look good. The Angus Sire Summary or an Angus pedigree search online will give you full EPDs of any animal that has them. I do have to laugh, though, at people who normally dismiss EPDs as important, then suddenly find one or two that they like. Makes me think....hmmmmm. :roll:

SOOOOOOOO a $EN value with a negative in front of it is good or bad. Sorry but that one always confuses me :dunce:

3waycross":2ggtcuvn said:
Frankie":2ggtcuvn said:

SOOOOOOOO a $EN value with a negative in front of it is good or bad. Sorry but that one always confuses me :dunce:

The more positive the $EN is- the more money you stick in your pocket rather than in feed bill.... ;-)
Altho its not part of the evaluation formula or figured in- I personally think the higher the $EN also adds $ to your pocket in breedback and stayability and not having to buy as many replacements because cows are coming in open or late....
But you have to remember I live in an area where average rainfall is 11.5 inches a year- when NOT in a drought- and about every other year is a drought....

3waycross":3pmwd7nb said:
Frankie":3pmwd7nb said:

Cow Energy Value ($EN)
A Cow Energy Value ($EN) is available to assess differences in cow energy requirements, expressed in dollars per cow per year, as an expected dollar savings difference in future daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size.

$EN is closely tied to animal size. Smaller cattle usually have a better $EN, but they will likely produce a smaller calf. Like any EPD, the $EN should be viewed in relation to other EPDs, not picked out as a single trait to "improve". IMO, of course.

Latest posts