Ranch Work

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2gjz31u5 said:
I've personally never worked cattle in this manner but love to watch a group of folks do it that know what they're doing. This is not a huge operation. I believe I was told that it was around 1000 acres and in that part of the state that won't run a lot of cattle. Anybody have any ideas about the breed of cattle?? Looked like some of that stuff from south of the border to me. I wouldn't want to get pitched into a cattle trailer with one. :lol: :lol:
Pretty certain they're old line longhorn cows. More of them than one would think still ran out in West Texas. Just haven't been distorted by single trait selection of bigger horns for the show ring and dummies like me who like huge horns in their front pasture.

Supa Dexta":26w52mcf said:
Angus Cowman":26w52mcf said:
But a few idiots that don't know what they are talking about have to run their mouths

Within this thread? Or where/whom are you referring to?

I fit the description :lol: :lol: :lol:

M-5":3lknh5jm said:
Instead of cowering to the panseys why not take up the fight and fight for it. That's what is happeing to our society. The good guys think its not nice to disagree or make a scene about what we believe in. But the libs and tree hugger s have more guts to stand up for what they believe in.... How many thousands of people did it take to get prayer taken out of school ,?????? It only took 1 person. Quit bit chin about what's gonna be taken away or viewed wrong and stand up for what you believe in , its pathitic that the people that will be effected are too big of wussys to try and correct it.

There are a lot of people trying to educate consumers/the public with blogs and inviting people out to their farms. But still it feels like a losing battle. I think the majority of people are fine with how farms and ranches go about their business but as you say it doesn't take very many people to make a lot of noise. Right now the poultry and hog industries are in the crosshairs with animal rights groups pushing for cage-free eggs and eliminating gestation crates. It seems more and more restaurants and stores are giving in and are planning on only buying from "approved" suppliers. It could eventually force farmers to either give in or they won't have a market for their product. But don't believe that it will never happen to the dairy or beef industry.

Look at how groups are pushing to eliminate GMO crops and are having success in getting companies to stop using them. That is despite all the evidence that GMO's are safe and better for the environment. Perception trumps science and truth for a lot of people. I'm hoping the whole "foodie" movement is a fad and will fade away in the coming years, but who knows what will happen.

I will admit that I'm not doing anything in particular to stand up for the way farmers and ranchers operate, but I do engage friends and coworkers who start repeating what the foodie activists are spewing. What are you doing to stand up for what you believe in?

since you asked I will tell you. I personally support 3 different FFA chapters with donations and hands on workshops during the year that caters to elementary age kids . I speak and volunteer with 2 schools to help further education to kids that have only seen livestock on the side of the road. I advocate for agriculture in my day job to city folks that don't understand on a daily basis. People would be surprised how you can educate every single person you come into contact with. Just this morning I was out seeing ms Suzy homemaker about a delivery and was admiring her beautiful lawn and simply said I wish my cow pasture was this lush which made her ask me a question on beef production and what to look for in the stores. Ms. Suzy has other friends and she will tell those friends at bridge fri night the real truth. Its not hard to have a honest conversation and in todays society of information at our fingertips people will investigate if they know what to look for. If a person aint afraid to tell someone their bull looks like crap they shouldn't be afraid to tell everyone they meet how this industry is feeding the world in a humane way. We out number them and shouldn't cower to their pressure. as someone famous once said "change starts with the man in the mirror".

I brand on a calf table but that's only because I can get my kids right in there and show them what to do and get them really hands on and helping. When done right roping is much less stress on the cattle. They're worked and nursing mom before they know what happened.

cow pollinater":2uhbx7xc said:
I brand on a calf table but that's only because I can get my kids right in there and show them what to do and get them really hands on and helping. When done right roping is much less stress on the cattle. They're worked and nursing mom before they know what happened.
agree 100%.
i also think its good to expose ranch kids like yours to calf tables and other processes too so they grow up knowing different ways.
certainly no magic bullet in this business, just what fits a program best.

js1234":3rpzgiu1 said:
cow pollinater":3rpzgiu1 said:
agree 100%.
i also think its good to expose ranch kids like yours to calf tables and other processes too so they grow up knowing different ways.
certainly no magic bullet in this business, just what fits a program best.
Sounds like a couple of guys that have "been there, done that" and trying to pass it on. :clap:

Ok, been on the tractor all day, and thought about this subject quit a bit. I still think we need to be mindful of what we post on the Internet, especially videos. What is second nature to us, can be so easily misinterpreted by people that have never been around it. I realize, that we need to educate the public, but if I post a video of me doctoring pinkeye in the pasture it'll look pretty rough to someone that has never been around it.

Bigfoot":1fgtdtsj said:
Ok, been on the tractor all day, and thought about this subject quit a bit. I still think we need to be mindful of what we post on the Internet, especially videos. What is second nature to us, can be so easily misinterpreted by people that have never been around it. I realize, that we need to educate the public, but if I post a video of me doctoring pinkeye in the pasture it'll look pretty rough to someone that has never been around it.
I've thought about that more than a few times. I can see a day coming where EVERYTHING is gonna have to be done by a vet.

90% of Americans really don't give a crap how the calves are handled as long as Burger King, Whataburger, and McDonalds don't run out of burgers.

greybeard":1v7oenfx said:
90% of Americans really don't give a crap how the calves are handled as long as Burger King, Whataburger, and McDonalds don't run out of burgers.

I agree 100%. I would add, that the industry has made many changes, to meet the wishes of the public. You don't have to stretch your imagination much, to see us making some changes in how handle/treat animals. For instance, it would be a complete sham, but what if only a vet could dehorn, because he has the skills to do a nerve block? Yea, dehorning probably hurts like heck, but I know it's for the greater good of my herd. Some dogooder pursues legislation that prevents me from doing it. I don't necessarily think we will get to that point soon, but I can see us getting there. That's why I'm not posting youtube videos of me dehorning calves. What John Q Public don't know ain't hurting him. That 10% that does care can make life hard on the producer.

greybeard":1l1ch6sc said:
Don't disagree, but a few very active, noisy groups can change the course of our nation. Would you like me to provide you with an example?

It wouldnt be impossible for a liberal hippy activist looking for a cause to put their name on to produce one well edited misinformed video and pass it around facebook and stir the rest of them up.

M-5":3nodl3tc said:
Instead of cowering to the panseys why not take up the fight and fight for it. That's what is happeing to our society. The good guys think its not nice to disagree or make a scene about what we believe in. But the libs and tree hugger s have more guts to stand up for what they believe in.... How many thousands of people did it take to get prayer taken out of school ,?????? It only took 1 person. Quit bit chin about what's gonna be taken away or viewed wrong and stand up for what you believe in , its pathitic that the people that will be effected are too big of wussys to try and correct it.

B
Great call M-5. Especially when viewed in light if how quick we are to rip the shyt out of each other on this board. I like your post.

greybeard":23moc9wb said:

Completely agree, but it's the 10% eating tree bark and soybean(edamame) that create the giant squeak in the wheel that the lawmakers feel compelled to grease....there's always alternative number two. Anyone have a saw?

Looks like Corriente or corriente crosses to me. Dang good rough country cows that sure keep easy!

Came across an article today had an interesting quote. Then I read some of the comments in this thread and it reminded me...

"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on a-comin'." Quote by Texas Rangers Hall of Fame Captain Bill McDonald

Problem is the now days "the fellow in right" rarely stands-up, much less "keeps on a-comin"