Ranch vs farm

Help Support CattleToday:

I've always felt ranching was a western thing but if you plow alot of ground you still may be a farmer.

Arnold Ziffle":1muv26ve said:
3MR, that professor might have chunked the eraser at you because he thought you were pricking him about a famous institution in Texas (that is now only a fond memory to many) affectionately known as "the chicken ranch". :)

Hmm, famous chicken ranch eh? I wonder what kind of "chicks" they had there?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The boys down south will tell you theat the Chicken Ranch didn't raise hens.
We're call ourselves a farm and only sell beef...ranch didn't seem to fit the Bride and me. DMc

mnmtranching":32fkctp5 said:
Ranch must be cool 8) . I have never heard of a "Dude Farm" or "Guest Farm" or "Farm Style House" or "Farmettes" But then there are lots of hobby farms, are there hobby ranches?

It seems to me that the real ranches are West of the Missouri. Well, from Nebraska North anyway. :roll:

I raise cattle and my main crop is grass. I grow some corn and hay only for my own use. So am I a rancher of farmer? :?:

mnmt

This style farm house is pretty common in this area.
http://www.eplans.com/house-plans.hwx/Q ... ext.browse

Here is what the dictionary says, for what it is worth:

Main Entry: ranch
Pronunciation: 'ranch
Function: noun
Etymology: Mexican Spanish rancho small ranch, from Spanish, camp, hut & Spanish dialect, small farm, from Old Spanish ranchearse to take up quarters, from Middle French se ranger to take up a position, from ranger to set in a row -- more at RANGE
1 : a large farm for raising horses, beef cattle, or sheep
2 : a farm or area devoted to a particular specialty
------------------------------------------------------------

farm
14 entries found for farm. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.
farm[1,noun]farm[2,verb]buy[1,verb]collective farmdry farmingfarm outfat farmfish farmfunny farmpoor farm
Main Entry: 1farm
Pronunciation: 'färm
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English ferme rent, lease, from Old French, lease, from fermer to fix, make a contract, from Latin firmare to make firm, from firmus firm
1 obsolete : a sum or due fixed in amount and payable at fixed intervals
2 : a letting out of revenues or taxes for a fixed sum to one authorized to collect and retain them
3 : a district or division of a country leased out for the collection of government revenues
4 : a tract of land devoted to agricultural purposes
5 a : a plot of land devoted to the raising of animals and especially domestic livestock b : a tract of water reserved for the artificial cultivation of some aquatic life form
6 : a minor-league team (as in baseball) associated with a major-league team as a subsidiary
7 : an area containing a number of similar structures (as radio antennas or storage tanks)

Imo, a farm indicates that you are actively cultivating property to produce something. Obviously, you might also raise animals as well. A ranch would be a more of a range type situation for raising cattle, horses, sheep ect... Generally think of a ranch being 500 acres at a minimum. Of course, farms can be huge also when you consider the commercial ones, but generally farms are less then 500 acres. This is the definition of a farmer and a rancher that came up on-line.

Rancher: One that owns or manages a ranch.

Farmer: 1).One that works on or operates a farm
2). A simple, unsophisticated person; a bumpkin.

chiefgriz":33dps0dp said:
Farmer: 1).One that works on or operates a farm
2). A simple, unsophisticated person; a bumpkin.

That's me, a bumpkin

dun

The only "ranches" around here are the ones you find in the dressing isle of the grocery store.

As a matter of fact, the 'Hidden Valley Ranch' website says that "Ranch" dressing was created by the "real ranchers" who ran Hidden Valley Guest Ranch near Santa Barbara, CA.. This "real rancher" -- named STEVE, btw -- created just the most 'fabu' salad dressing for guests using special "dry mix of herbs and spices, mayonaisse, and buttermilk".. His guests couldn't get enough of that creamy white stuff, and Steve just knew he was about to jump all over something huge! How delightful!

Oh, and did I mention that Michael Jackson had a ranch too?

Hmm.. Yeah, call me anything you want -- farmer, bumpkin, simpleton, etc -- just don't call me a rancher.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't mind being a bumpkin. But I probably more resemble a pumpkin. With frost on it. :oops:

We had a Grade A dairy farm for 25 years, then we became a livestock farm....

Too me a ranch it a big spread out west with a section or two of land. With "real cowboys" and windmills. The owner actually makes a full time living on the place. I ain't no cowboy.

I run a cow/calf operation and raise hay, and I call my place a farm and myself a cow/calf and hay producer...

When I was a little kid, many, many years ago. People would ask the ever popular question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" My answer was alwasy the same, I told them I wanted to be a farmer. Invariably they would say, "You mean a cowboy or a rancher?". I would say the the same thing, I want to be a farmer.
Now I would ask them what part of the answer they didn;t understand, but I more of a wise....... now then when I was younger.

dun

i'm glad to be called a farmer...call it unsophisticated or whatever yall want...most people dont know the definition of most ranchers...it's " Rancher 1). Fake cowboy that hires real FARMERS to run their cattle operation 2). Anyone who owns a cowboy hat" :D

Heritage_Farmboy said:
i'm glad to be called a farmer...call it unsophisticated or whatever yall want...most people dont know the definition of most ranchers...it's " Rancher 1). Fake cowboy that hires real FARMERS to run their cattle operation 2). Anyone who owns a cowboy hat" :D[/quote

I've been called a rancher my whole life. I own a few cowboy hats but I don't always wear one. I'm also rather unsophisticated. Maybe I'm a ranmer or something.
I think we are traveling down the same road.

Ned Jr.":1u3vuami said:
Heritage_Farmboy":1u3vuami said:
i'm glad to be called a farmer...call it unsophisticated or whatever yall want...most people dont know the definition of most ranchers...it's " Rancher 1). Fake cowboy that hires real FARMERS to run their cattle operation 2). Anyone who owns a cowboy hat" :D[/quote

I've been called a rancher my whole life. I own a few cowboy hats but I don't always wear one. I'm also rather unsophisticated. Maybe I'm a ranmer or something.
I think we are traveling down the same road.

:) ranmer :lol: ...in my post...I was just talking about the kids walking around in cowboy hats that aint never seen a cow in their whole life...one of them fellars that calls themself a rancher...but I know there's plenty of real ranchers out there :) ...I wasn't talking about all of yall...cause I believe there's a few fake farmers out here too :D ...one of my grandchildren was telling me about one of his "farmer" friends...well I happen to know this certain kids parents and they dont have anything more than a little garden :lol: ...I dont think that qualifies them to be a farmer although the kid likes to think he is

I was told by a pretty smart fellow that the difference between a farm and a ranch comes down to water. if there is water (rain, irrigation, etc) it is a farm. if there is no abundant water source for crops or livestock, it's a ranch.

this is my new definition for farm vs ranch.

Aero":2ncpy635 said:
I was told by a pretty smart fellow that the difference between a farm and a ranch comes down to water. if there is water (rain, irrigation, etc) it is a farm. if there is no abundant water source for crops or livestock, it's a ranch.

this is my new definition for farm vs ranch.

Actually, right now I think that means its my place whatever you want to call it.