ranch vs farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Ranch to me has always been beef cattle and/or horses.

Dairy cattle are on "farms". My boss has close to 1000 head of dairy cattle and calls the operation a "farm." :)

I always thought it was more a regional thing.... I don't think I have ever heard of someone in Wisconsin refer to their operation as a ranch....only farm.

geish":256iare2 said:
I've always wondered what the difference was between a ranch and a farm.

A friend of mine when we were young said it had something to do with the acreage; the ranch being of larger size than the farm. Some have told me that it depends on what you're raising; cattle vs plants.

Don't forget "Plantation". In our area we consider anything over 2,000 acres a plantation.

I remember being in the younger grades in school and being taught that a farm is where only grain is grown, and a ranch where grain and cattle/horses/whatever other animals are raised. Plus I know alot of farmers that would be offened if you were to call them a rancher cause they grow grain and the only animals on the place are the lap dog and 3.5 cats....and a farmer and nothing but..Then there is also the ranchers that would take it as an absolute offence to be called a farmer, cause they have grain and cattle not one but both..thus making them ranchers...But really I think it is nothing more then personal preference when it comes to naming farms/ranches whatever they want to call them.

We moved to East Texas in 1975, bought a patch of land(35 Acres) and called it a farm, A member of my church had according to rumor 3000 acres,. He laughed at me and told me that I didn't even have a good sized garden spot. I asked him quite innocently how many cows he had, his reply"Boy in Texas you dont ask a real cowboy how many cattle he has." I lived ther 5 years and never asked anyone again.Bud in LA :D

Bud In lower Ala":hs084tsf said:
We moved to East Texas in 1975, bought a patch of land(35 Acres) and called it a farm, A member of my church had according to rumor 3000 acres,. He laughed at me and told me that I didn't even have a good sized garden spot. I asked him quite innocently how many cows he had, his reply"Boy in Texas you dont ask a real cowboy how many cattle he has." I lived ther 5 years and never asked anyone again.Bud in LA :D

If you know how many cows you have; you're NOT a real cattleman!!

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":11t16u0o said:
I have also heard that their is a difference when it comes to taxes also,and that the deductions are different. Maybe one of our boardmembers that are cpa's could add to our knowledge base on this. ;-)

For fed taxes I'm sure there is no difference, someone will probably make me wrong but ag. is ag. State and property taxes are different from state to state.

Alan

I had a Scotsman tell me that in his country the definition of a farm is "a small piece of land surrounded by a large number of regulations."

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2hfi5i76 said:
I have also heard that their is a difference when it comes to taxes also,and that the deductions are different. Maybe one of our boardmembers that are cpa's could add to our knowledge base on this. ;-)

Not a cpa, but I'm not aware of any differences between farm and ranch as far as taxes go. Allowable deductions are allowable deductions, regardless of what type of operation one is running.

cherokeeruby'":2ffoxwd0 said:
msscamp":2ffoxwd0 said:
Beefy":2ffoxwd0 said:
How about a Cattle Spa?

I don't think that's a verifiable (for lack of a better word) occupation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have Dog Spas so why not a Cattle Spa?

I'm thinking size could very well be a limiting factor, not to mention the fact that cows don't play well with new cows and tend to tear things up if in a confined area. Plus there is the added aggravation that cows are not generally leash broke! :lol: :lol: Now that would be a sight to see, wouldn't it? A cow being leash broke? Not halter broke - leash broke!

Latest posts