Ranch pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Just a few I've taken this spring

Our wildest colored calf this year

Calves out of our 'mutant' bull... Except the dark red, solid black and the black WF in the background.

Steer who seemed to want his picture taken

Left this one a bull. Last of the calves, out of the black Hereford..

Remember Hurt Mouth, a ice covered limb fell on her when she was a newborn and crushed her face. It took her a extra year to grow good enough to calve. Her first this year and she's putting everything into her. Hadnt really paid attention to HM in the pasture, but came across her and saw her calf nursing. I was really surprised to see such a nice first calf out of HM. Glad I kept her...very sweet cow

callmefence":10z3ejru said:
Well I hate the first one...
The rest look good. Look like good powerful calves, not to fleshy and lots of room to grow.
How could you hate that first one, she's just a day old....Half Hereford, she's adorable..

I named her Capri

See, the back half is Hereford, then the white line divides her and the front half is sim/angus...

cowgirl8":woatx45f said:
I named her Capri

See, the back half is Hereford, then the white line divides her and the front half is sim/angus...

Nice looking calves, but if a Hereford bull can't put a white face on every calf something is definitely wrong somewhere.

We no longer have that bull nor do we care about white faces..that one herd had the Hereford and many did have white faces. Not sure if we'll ever go the black Hereford direction. It was our daughters bull we borrowed when we got in a bull bind. Got some nice calves out of him, the one out of the red cows is one....If we keep any Hereford, it will probably be from that calf if he grows right. Sure love his mother and she's a twinner and quite the milker..

True Grit Farms":1sgv9d67 said:
cowgirl8":1sgv9d67 said:
I named her Capri

Nice looking calves, but if a Hereford bull can't put a white face on every calf something is definitely wrong somewhere.

That's not unusual for a "Black Hereford".

I guess with any bull, you don't know what you're going to get until you have that first calf crop. My daughter was getting almost all w/f, but not 100%. She had another black Hereford she was using... He was struck by lightning and the one we borrowed came up sterile this spring. The solid black calf we left a bull, is out of that pasture where the Hereford was, but we didn't put the Hereford in until later in the season so he's not out of that bull.

cowgirl8":snj3huh3 said:
callmefence":snj3huh3 said:
The rest look good. Look like good powerful calves, not to fleshy and lots of room to grow.
How could you hate that first one, she's just a day old....Half Hereford, she's adorable..

Well I guess hate was a little rough. She'd probably make me smile and my granddaughter would wanna hug her neck.
Not what I would be shooting for in my calves though.

callmefence":2ffyrymx said:
cowgirl8":2ffyrymx said:
callmefence":2ffyrymx said:

Well I guess hate was a little rough. She'd probably make me smile and my granddaughter would wanna hug her neck.
That's better.... and with a name like Capri, she's adorable... She wont make heifer cut, born too late in the season. Really miss my colored up calves...but, considering what we usually get out of a couple a year she's showing we're on the border of getting only solids or w/f now...

cowgirl8":1vhsg865 said:
callmefence":1vhsg865 said:
cowgirl8":1vhsg865 said:

That's better.... and with a name like Capri, she's adorable... She wont make heifer cut, born too late in the season. Really miss my colored up calves...but, considering what we usually get out of a couple a year she's showing we're on the border of getting only solids or w/f now...
She totally makes me smile!

callmefence":12od9gav said:
cowgirl8":12od9gav said:
callmefence":12od9gav said:

Fence I looked and thought" Holstein"...

Nice calves there Cowgirl. :nod:

TexasBred":1i2br6ep said:

Thanks, its been a good growing year.....
That's what happens sometimes with flec sims....similar to Holstein. Our bulls in the 80s looked like giant red Holsteins.. But, since we've never bought a cow I can say for 100% sure there is no Holstein. The stripe is only on one side...so so strange.

that first one is a black version of these two... Steer on the left isn't great, momma has no milk, but the heifer on the right is very nicely put together.. I could do without the white flank though.. Both from my homeraised bull

This is the reason I like that bull though.. big meaty butts on about 75% of the calves

cowgirl8":2gv42vtc said:
TexasBred":2gv42vtc said:

Thanks, its been a good growing year.....
That's what happens sometimes with flec sims....similar to Holstein. Our bulls in the 80s looked like giant red Holsteins.. But, since we've never bought a cow I can say for 100% sure there is no Holstein. The stripe is only on one side...so so strange.
I used a simi bull last year...calves came out every color in the world with a lot of white around the face and head. He was an old school red/white. Looked like a horned hereford.

TB, you used a red and white sim, you can still get them? And why? Don't you run brangus?
Its been one heck of a Monday here.... First I find a cow, in fact the big red one with the black W/F calf pictured, prolapsed....ugh. I did not see her until I opened a gate to move that herd into the pasture that is 2 miles away from the corrals. Luckily, if I can say that, a bull in that pasture had a penis problem so got him up at the same time. I mean luckily because he wasn't in a different herd, thus making us get up 2 herds....Anywho, bull not fixable and going to the sale this week, cow stitched up but has to go this fall.....
We closed gates to keep cows locked up, but since we finished, a monsoon has hit. 2 inches of rain in less than an hour. Hoping it will stop long enough for me to run over there on my 4wheeler to get gates opened up. I think we left a calf way back in the pasture 2 miles from the corral where all the cows are....ugh....

Latest posts