Ranch name & brand

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey y'all, How do you go 'bout gettin a ranch name & your brand registered? I just got me a hunk of land & am fixin to start ranchin it, but I need the name & brand. I don't want no one else gettin it in a year or two, then sayin that I stole it from them.

[email protected]

I picked my ranch name based on what I intended my ranch to be. Hence, we are the LS Half-box Cow Camp... Cow Camp being what I perceived our property to do. I happened to be watching a special on RFD TV (9409 on Dish Network) and they were doing a story on a big ranch. I liked the thought... so adapted it. Some people name their ranches after their names... some folks use the breed as a starting point. I suppose, creativity is all you need to know about naming your ranch. Look around your area and make sure you aren't going to select a name someone else already has. As for the brand, contact your state's Dept of Agriculture. They will let you input three ideas for brands.... and suggest one if you can't come up with one. The Dept of Agriculture in your state also has a brand book of everyone who has a brand in your state. It can be purchased for a nominal fee -- it tax-deductable and is a great source of inspiration. Our brand was designed by my dad who wanted us to have our own brand, or I would have used his. His brand (four half box) had been given to him by the state some fifty years ago. In Washington state, we pay thirty five dollars a year for the brand to stay registered. Dad took the two initials of our names and part of his brand and came up with LS Half-box. One of the things he told me is that you do not want a brand that has an enclosed figure... the healing of the brand apparently is longer, since the hide in the center of an "O", etc tends to slough off while the healing is going on. He brands with a hot iron... we use freeze branding. I think that about covers it... have fun and let us know what you decided!

[email protected]

As for the ranch name, pick whatever you feel like.For example there are several Post Oak ranches in our area. For your brand, design something practicle. If your brand is too busy or too small it may blot out and just make a blob. Go to the county clerk, all brands should be registered there.In Texas it cost $10 to register your brand and its yours for ten years in that county.If someone already has that brand you will have to find another. Good luck.
> Hey y'all, How do you go 'bout
> gettin a ranch name & your
> brand registered? I just got me a
> hunk of land & am fixin to
> start ranchin it, but I need the
> name & brand. I don't want no
> one else gettin it in a year or
> two, then sayin that I stole it
> from them.

[email protected]

Latest posts