Ranch hand versus deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Worked cattle Saturday and on the way home cruise set at 70 mph,and a doe tried to run across the road in front of me,Needless to say she didn't make it. Thank goodness for the ranch hand brush guard it didn't total my truck. It did bend the bumper,took out the grill,and both headlights. :mad: :mad:
Seems like a year or so ago someone said something like it was the drivers fault if you hit a deer.
Well I'm gonna say bullship!! I didnt see the deer until she was directly in front of my truck and already hit.
Last I saw of her was what was left on the front of my grill guard.
I guess you could say I killed,skinned ,gutted and ground into hamburger in a split second.

Cal

I remember 2 days after hubby got his new pick up truck we went to an auction and on the way home a deer actually ran into the truck. Really, she came out of the bushes, ran straight across the hi way and into the side of the pick up truck, she made a pretty good ding, rolled under the pick up and into the ditch and kept on running. We looked for a while to see if she was hurt but there was no sign of her or any blood so I am thinking she had internal bleeding or was fine.

Glad you are OK Cal I really think deer,moose, elk do not care whether you see them or not if they want to cross a road they do it no matter the consequences.

hillsdown":28gq85fc said:
I remember 2 days after hubby got his new pick up truck we went to an auction and on the way home a deer actually ran into the truck. Really, she came out of the bushes, ran straight across the hi way and into the side of the pick up truck, she made a pretty good ding, rolled under the pick up and into the ditch and kept on running. We looked for a while to see if she was hurt but there was no sign of her or any blood so I am thinking she had internal bleeding or was fine.

Glad you are OK Cal I really think deer,moose, elk do not care whether you see them or not if they want to cross a road they do it no matter the consequences.

Had a HWY Patrol to tell me that 80% of all deer hit by auto,the deer runs into the vehicle.

Cal

GRTiger85":1ogwvvh3 said:
sounds like you need a real ranch hand......front end replacement is the only way to go

I guess I don't know what you are saying. I do have a REAL Ranch Hand and bolted to the frame. :?: :?:
Hitting a full grown deer broadsided running 70mph,I don't think anything less than a dozzer blade could absorb the Impact without some damage>

Cal

The Doe was scared Cal, she had a Hot Buck chasing her. :nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

curtis":2x87jkok said:
The Doe was scared Cal, she had a Hot Buck chasing her. :nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

That was exactly my thoughts Curtis.I didn't have time to see. It was amazing,you would have thought I would have seen her before I hit her.Open Fields on both side of the road and she had to cross the lane on my left to get in front of me. And it was 3 in the afternoon.Musta had my head up my a$$.

Cal

we was out a few nites ago an had 4 or 5 deer run in front of us up ahead.an i turned just in time to see emm cross the railroad track.i sure was glad they was up ahead of us.

Back in either Sept or Oct of this year I smacked a doe doing 47mph. Reason I know this is that I just came into a 45 zone and looked down at the speedo, when I looked up I heard the smack. There's one of those RanchHand brush guards on that truck, got it off ebay for 76 dollars. Guy didn't know what it fit, lived an hour and half from me - bolted right on my truck. Anyways, I pulled over after hitting the deer to see what all the commotion was over, my license plate was crushed and that was it. Best 76 bucks I've ever spent.

I bought a whole front end replacement with the 4" pipe bumper at an auction this summer for that truck but haven't put it on yet, darn thing weighs 250 lbs or so.