ranch/farm jobs?

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":2d2hzrot said:
tn,

Stand back and look at your posts which the following excerpts are taken:

...."own a house and condo"...........

........."but it is more important for us to be debt free"...........

............."debt it's the American way. We have decided we don't to live that way"...........

................."almost exactly what we are trying to do"...........

............"We have mortgages on both and decent equity in both but want to build more"............

......"being debt free is more important than owning cattle"..........

See the picture?

Someone else has been paying our mortgage on our condo for over 4 years and that is what we are planning on doing with the house until we sell both. We will rent the house out just like the condo and it is easy to rent where we live. When we sell both and put what we have saved from working on a ranch/farm with it then we will buy what we can pay for. Does that make sense?

...............But, being debt free is not as important as building equity with a debt/mortgage? :p

Doesn't fit.

Thus the conflict('both ways') and is a reference back to my previous posts.

What is the difference in a renter paying the mortgage and cows paying the mortgage? They are renters of the land as they graze. ;-)

preston39":3pu2cqni said:
...............But, being debt free is not as important as building equity with a debt/mortgage? :p

Doesn't fit.

Thus the conflict('both ways') and is a reference back to my previous posts.

What is the difference in a renter paying the mortgage and cows paying the mortgage? They are renters of the land as they graze. ;-)

The difference is I don't have near the experience I need to own and make $ off my OWN cows yet, as I do renting condo and house. And while we are renting I will be gaining much needed experience working with cattle, equipment etc. and getting paid. With our plan what we buy in about 4 years we will own free and clear right then. Having someone else pay your mortgage every month works pretty well and once you build enough up from the extra you start making a little $ also. Try it sometimes it ain't that hard.

LOL...

Now you have switchd issues.

We have tried and succeeded.

The wife just showed me a mortgage payoff on one of the properties God has blessed us with..... and we understand.

Never made a payment on it (one family lived in that home 7 years) during the 18 year mortgage.

Note mortgage!!!!

When we purchased it 18 years ago...we didn't have cash.

QUESTION...WITHOUT DEBT AND TAKING A CHANCE...HOW COULD WE HAVE DONE THAT? (Please reflect back on your no mortgage/debt free concept!)

(I think you have been listening to ...oh...whatshisname...on afternoon radio...to much) ;-)

preston39":36nvsy5x said:
LOL...

Now you have switchd issues.

We have tried and succeeded.

The wife just showed me a mortgage payoff on one of the properties God has blessed us with..... and we understand.

Never made a payment on it (one family lived in that home 7 years) during the 18 year mortgage.

Note mortgage!!!!

When we purchased it 18 years ago...we didn't have cash.

QUESTION...WITHOUT DEBT AND TAKING A CHANCE...HOW COULD WE HAVE DONE THAT? (Please reflect back on your no mortgage/debt free concept!)

(I think you have been listening to ...oh...whatshisname...on afternoon radio...to much) ;-)

Well, I can see this is a futile discussion. It appears to me that you want to catch me in something wrong in every post I make. Thanks for your help-- :p

tncattle":ayy08jdo said:
I have and will continue to check the classifieds but anyway:

We (wife and I) have decided to pursue a farm/ranch job that would allow us to become debt free. We would be willing to commit for 3-5 years to a place where we could live (housing/insurance) and also raise our children. We have a 4 yr. old and 16 mo. old. I have worked for free for a local cattleman for about 8 months now and have loved it. We are willing to relocate almost anywhere if the situation is right. This is NOT a spur of the moment decision, we have prayed about this for months and months. I posted this here because so many people seem to browse this section and someone might also spread the word on this. You can PM me or call me at 615-519-6809--that is my cell.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

How long have you been married, been a teacher, your age and your wife's age?

Just to give you a little encouragement, you probably know more about cattle than I. In 2004 I bought about three hundred acres after saving for 5 years or so. I then bought 60 two year old female pairs and 10 registered female pairs. The female, relatives, and friends thought I was crazy. Now the land is worth 5 times (or more) what I paid and the cows are ET calving high dollar genes. What I found out is....go for it because you only live once. Be ready to get a divorce though, etc. Will provide more opinions if you reply with some more answers.

Sell the condo. Save your money. Keep teaching. Go rent a few acres and put a few cows on it.
Work in the hot sun, when the baler is busted and you are covered with fire ants. Rain is coming and you can't get the part that you need.
Apply 4 tons of EXPENSIVE fertilizer. Watch a huge rain wash it down the creek.
Get your hay so wet that it molds and turns black.
Have your cows get anaplaz or some other disease and half die before you can even get the vet there.
Have half a dozen heifers that can't have their first calf and after you pull them you end up paralyzing them.

Have some idiot throw out a cigarette and burn up your hay.
Hay a wind storm blow down your hay barn.
Pay some idiot $100 roll for hay.

Chop ice on the stock tank every few hours for a week straight...

Do all of this for about the next 20 years. Then if you still like it, retire and buy a place.
Dont expect to get rich. You will be lucky to break even.

preston39":2mdpqiv6 said:
Nope.

Just suggesting plans must be consistent with objectives if one hopes to realize their goals.

BTW, whatshisname on the radio in the afternoon is debt free and doesn't borrow a penny for anything, ever. I think you would have to agree he is doing pretty well.

Take a hard look at Ramsey. Gone Bankrupt a few times, drives the biggest Mercedes money can buy, and you want me to take his financial advice? Makes more money than the law should allow, and he wants to tell everyone else how to live? :shock: Only thing in this ol' world that will make you money and that's hard work.

Crowderfarms":26ogikvs said:
Take a hard look at Ramsey. Gone Bankrupt a few times, drives the biggest Mercedes money can buy, and you want me to take his financial advice? Makes more money than the law should allow, and he wants to tell everyone else how to live? :shock: Only thing in this ol' world that will make you money and that's hard work.

You obviously don't know Ramsey very well. Yes he has gone bankrupt and that's how he learned his hard lessons. If he can pay cash for a Mercedes is that wrong for him to buy that? The truth is he drives a different car often because one of his show sponsors provides him with them. Please tell me your not one of those people that think there should be limit to how much $ one can legally make. Again, you don't know him very well, for years he worked his rear end off and now he is where he is. I agree with your last sentence and there are many forms of hard work besides farming.

tncattle":1ps507y8 said:
Crowderfarms":1ps507y8 said:

You obviously don't know Ramsey very well. Yes he has gone bankrupt and that's how he learned his hard lessons. If he can pay cash for a Mercedes is that wrong for him to buy that? The truth is he drives a different car often because one of his show sponsors provides him with them. Please tell me your not one of those people that think there should be limit to how much $ one can legally make. Again, you don't know him very well, for years he worked his rear end off and now he is where he is. I agree with your last sentence and there are many forms of hard work besides farming.

I pretty much have him figured as a "Cult" leader.I could care less what he drives...All of our equipment, trucks, etc are all paid for. Even our Cattle. I've never gone Bankrupt, and I dont need anyone telling me how to live in debt or out of debt.Problem is, most folks in this world lack common sense. They think they have to out do their neighbors.

Crowderfarms":1tp3sf1q said:
tncattle":1tp3sf1q said:
Crowderfarms":1tp3sf1q said:

I pretty much have him figured as a "Cult" leader.I could care less what he drives...All of our equipment, trucks, etc are all paid for. Even our Cattle. I've never gone Bankrupt, and I dont need anyone telling me how to live in debt or out of debt.Problem is, most folks in this world lack common sense. They think they have to out do their neighbors.

If you could care less what kind of car he drives why did you bring it up? Also, why does he make more $ then the law should allow? Your right most folks now days do lack common sense and that is all he really offers, he even says that. It's our ridiculous materialistic culture and the me, me attitude.

tncattle":amnaiqk2 said:
Crowderfarms":amnaiqk2 said:
tncattle":amnaiqk2 said:
Crowderfarms":amnaiqk2 said:

If you could care less what kind of car he drives why did you bring it up? Also, why does he make more $ then the law should allow? Your right most folks now days do lack common sense and that is all he really offers, he even says that. It's our ridiculous materialistic culture and the me, me attitude.

If he wants to be a role model as a debt free Guru, why does'nt he drive a Pinto? I've heard his suggestions to buy a "Yard Sale" car.He's making his living from the dumb people. People that have lived off Credit Cards, extravagance, etc. and really never had a pot to pee in.I had a friend that followed his advice and sold off all his equipment because he was having a hard time making ends meet.Guess what? He's still having a hard time because he Can't manage his Money. You cant borrow your way out of debt, and the first thing, you should not get into debt, if you can't pay for it.I do agree that we are in the "ME" Culture, But not "I".

Crowderfarms":3sivlyco said:
tncattle":3sivlyco said:
tncattle":3sivlyco said:

If he wants to be a role model as a debt free Guru, why does'nt he drive a Pinto? I've heard his suggestions to buy a "Yard Sale" car.He's making his living from the dumb people. People that have lived off Credit Cards, extravagance, etc. and really never had a pot to pee in.I had a friend that followed his advice and sold off all his equipment because he was having a hard time making ends meet.Guess what? He's still having a hard time because he Can't manage his Money. You cant borrow your way out of debt, and the first thing, you should not get into debt, if you can't pay for it.I do agree that we are in the "ME" Culture, But not "I".

You did very well at avoiding questions. I agree people are pretty dumb and there are millions of them that borrow, borrow and credit card there way to debt city. I personally have never had a credit card in my life. Why should he drive a Pinto if he can pay cash for whatever he wants?

farmerjohn":3dara3qe said:
Sell the condo. Save your money. Keep teaching. Go rent a few acres and put a few cows on it.
Work in the hot sun, when the baler is busted and you are covered with fire ants. Rain is coming and you can't get the part that you need.
Apply 4 tons of EXPENSIVE fertilizer. Watch a huge rain wash it down the creek.
Get your hay so wet that it molds and turns black.
Have your cows get anaplaz or some other disease and half die before you can even get the vet there.
Have half a dozen heifers that can't have their first calf and after you pull them you end up paralyzing them.

Have some idiot throw out a cigarette and burn up your hay.
Hay a wind storm blow down your hay barn.
Pay some idiot $100 roll for hay.

Chop ice on the stock tank every few hours for a week straight...

Do all of this for about the next 20 years. Then if you still like it, retire and buy a place.
Dont expect to get rich. You will be lucky to break even.

This is spoken like a man who definitely knows what its like to be in the cattle business. Well said.

tncattle":2h3pc3xa said:
Crowderfarms":2h3pc3xa said:

You did very well at avoiding questions. I agree people are pretty dumb and there are millions of them that borrow, borrow and credit card there way to debt city. I personally have never had a credit card in my life. Why should he drive a Pinto if he can pay cash for whatever he wants?

Im with tncattle. crowderfarms, you are sadly misinformed about Mr. Ramsey and his intentions. Do a little research before you get on here and start pointing fingers. The reason he is where he is today is because he has been bankrupt. He learned from his mistakes and is now sharing it with us. You dont think at some point that he was diving a "pinto"? Anyways, tncattle, you need to go with what you feel is best for you and your family. Good luck to you.

It is easier to keep the herd moving ahead slow and steadily than to gather them up after a stampede and turn them about.

I have respect for both.

Latest posts